News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Different track types with different restrictions

Started by fam621, December 26, 2019, 06:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

Quote from: Vladki on April 24, 2019, 07:54:12 PM
Please keep in mind that the end result must be easily understandable to players, who did not study railway building and operation on technical university.

Most of what is required could be done by having wider selection of track types in pakset.
- high speed track (>200 km/h), up to 20 t/axle, very high maintenance, medium durability
- medium speed track (120-160), 25 t/axle, medium maintenance, high durability
- low cost track (<60), 22/t axle, low maintenance, low durability

Going back to the topic of different track types which was last spoken about back in August (2019). I was asking for there to be more track types with different weight restrictions/speed limits to be added to the game. Thinking about it now, could there instead be tracks of the above specs be added to the game (removing the current ones available ingame) with the provision to be able to ctrl+click to be able to set different speed limits.

jamespetts

Quote from: thegamer7893 on December 26, 2019, 06:50:39 PM
Going back to the topic of different track types which was last spoken about back in August (2019). I was asking for there to be more track types with different weight restrictions/speed limits to be added to the game. Thinking about it now, could there instead be tracks of the above specs be added to the game (removing the current ones available ingame) with the provision to be able to ctrl+click to be able to set different speed limits.

What would be the economic purpose in the game of choosing a lower speed limit?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

Less way wear or maintainance, I guess.

However, the only railtype I am sometimes missing is an inexpensive very low speed, very low axle load track for light rail/trams, a newer 120 km/h rail with higher axle loads for inexpensie last mile cargo tracks, and rarely I am missing a high speed track with higher axle load.
but that's only from a gameplay perspective. Don't know about realism.

jamespetts

Quote from: Freahk on December 26, 2019, 07:13:53 PM

Except that dynamic wear is not simulated, so restricting the speed would have no effect.

QuoteHowever, the only railtype I am sometimes missing is an inexpensive very low speed, very low axle load track for light rail/trams, a newer 120 km/h rail with higher axle loads for inexpensie last mile cargo tracks, and rarely I am missing a high speed track with higher axle load.

Proper light rail we do need; the Docklands Light Railway is laid with track with a much thinner/lighter rail profile than mainline rail. If anyone has any data on light rail or standards for secondary lines or yards for modern UK railways, please let me know.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

fam621

Quote from: jamespetts on December 26, 2019, 06:55:33 PM
What would be the economic purpose in the game of choosing a lower speed limit?

I don't know about economically but I in terms of operational it would slow down trains especially when approaching an complex area (i.e. a large yard or a terminus station with multiple platforms)

Quote from: Freahk on December 26, 2019, 07:13:53 PM

However, the only railtype I am sometimes missing is an inexpensive very low speed, very low axle load track for light rail/trams, a newer 120 km/h rail with higher axle loads for inexpensie last mile cargo tracks, and rarely I am missing a high speed track with higher axle load.

The 120km/h rail suggested would benefit me as well as I can be able to run services with locos/carriages/wagons of a higher axle load

jamespetts

Quote from: thegamer7893 on December 26, 2019, 09:11:59 PM
I don't know about economically but I in terms of operational it would slow down trains especially when approaching an complex area (i.e. a large yard or a terminus station with multiple platforms)

A fundamental design feature of Simutrans-Extended is that every feature that has economic consequences must have an economic justification in the game. This suggestion would violate that principle.

QuoteThe 120km/h rail suggested would benefit me as well as I can be able to run services with locos/carriages/wagons of a higher axle load

Do you have data on modern UK high axle load low speed track?

fam621

Quote from: jamespetts on December 27, 2019, 12:01:18 AM
A fundamental design feature of Simutrans-Extended is that every feature that has economic consequences must have an economic justification in the game. This suggestion would violate that principle.

Do you have data on modern UK high axle load low speed track?

Unfortunately not but over the new few days I will look for data which suggests otherwise

Mariculous

Not added to the extended feature request list as it seems to be a pakset related feature request.

fam621

I would say that the only track I'm missing would be a slow heavy track which allows me to run freight and passenger trains at the same time without the need to use heavier but faster track

jamespetts

Quote from: thegamer7893 on May 22, 2020, 03:24:48 PM
I would say that the only track I'm missing would be a slow heavy track which allows me to run freight and passenger trains at the same time without the need to use heavier but faster track

Did you manage to find any data on this in the end?

Vladki

Quote from: thegamer7893 on May 22, 2020, 03:24:48 PMI would say that the only track I'm missing would be a slow heavy track which allows me to run freight and passenger trains at the same time without the need to use heavier but faster track

There is 145 km/h track with 26 t allowance. That is IMHO intended for what you ask (at least since 1990 or so). (Pak128.britian-ex)

fam621

Quote from: jamespetts on May 22, 2020, 03:39:00 PM
Did you manage to find any data on this in the end?

Unfortunately not

Quote from: Vladki on May 22, 2020, 04:06:16 PM
There is 145 km/h track with 26 t allowance. That is IMHO intended for what you ask (at least since 1990 or so). (Pak128.britian-ex)

Ik but I think thats too fast considering that those freight trains are going to be running on slow/relief lines

Vladki

Well I just think that if you have a heavy track you can also tun fast on it, especially with lighter trains

jamespetts

I will not be able to progress this without data.