News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Tram max speed on roads

Started by Mariculous, November 03, 2019, 05:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

Hey there,
I have learned many very unfamiliar things about transportation in the UK, googling around when I encounter strange stuff ingame.
However, I couldn't find anything about the 32km/h tram restriction when driving on tram rails instead of normal rail.
Is max. speed for trams really restricted to 32 km/h in the UK or what else is the reason for this strange restriction?

Also, when googling for this, I found some anti-trespass panels.
E.g. these https://www.rosehillrail.com/files/1913/3526/8161/Anti-Trespass_Story.pdf
What's the use for these? I mean, from the name they should prevent trespassing. From the paper they should even stop metal thieves passing.
However, I really can't imagine these panels will stop anyone who intentionally passes these. It looks pretty ridiculus to me to really think these could stop metal thieves.
Is there anyone who has seen these in the real world? Is there anything I am missing?

Mariculous

Oh I didn't find that one, thanks for the link.

This is pretty... British. I really wouldn't expect trams on roads to be restricted to lower speeds than the actual road speed and couldn't find informations about it.
Also, I wouldn't expect trams to be replaced by busses from 1920 on.
Tram history here also had a time where trams were replaced, but it was much later roughly in the 1960s.
Many tram lines were replaced by busses but also new "Stadtbahn" systems were built, which is something in between light rail and tramway.
Some of these old tramways still exist nowdays and further tramways were just newly built after 2000.

However, good to know there won't be any faster tram rails so I will just replace these lines with trolleybusses or the tube.

freddyhayward

Freahk, it is worth noting that new street tramways become available in-game in 1992 with a max speed of 50kph, coinciding with the opening of the Manchester Metrolink (similar to Stadtbahn). That is what I believe makes this limit absurd, since I doubt Metrolink involved any major improvements in tramway track themselves, but rather faster vehicle acceleration and off-street rights-of-way. Since the latter two are already simulated, it makes little sense to add (what seems to be) an arbitrary restriction of 32pkh.

Mariculous

Well 1992 is much too long to wait for it, when faster busses are already available around the 1920s, but good to know there will be slightly faster tramways soon.
Did they change the law or create a new law for the metrolink tramway to allow for on road drive by sight speeds above 32/35 km/h ?
Would be interessting to know how this works in the UK.
Here, trams and light rail are restricted by BOStrab, whereas the normal railway is restricted by EBO. (two different laws)

Something simmilar to Stadtbahn or Manchester citylink was indeed what I intended to implement in one of my largest cities using tunnels in the city center but if trolleybusses and tubes are the british way to go, I'll give it a try.
I just replaced highly frequented lines by tube tunnels now. Some of the others lost attraction with my tube network so I replaced most of them with normal busses and a few of them with trolleybusses.

Mariculous

Just arrived in 1992 I will rebuild most tramways that have ben by trolleybusses a few years ago.
Old trams had an average speed or around 25 km/h using old 32km/h tramways.
Trolleybusses have an average speeed of 15-20 km/h due to traffic congestion.
Using the new 50 km/h tramways, I expect an average speed of at least 30 km/h

Feels a bit like real worlds tram history of Oberhausen. The last tram line was shut down in 1974. A decade later they started planning a new tramway which opened in 1996.
People were shouting waste of money...
Well, got me, i did the same mistake ingame xD

Furthermore all of my tramways were operating profitably even though there seems to be a bug reporting "this line made a loss last month" for all of my tram lines, whereas profit stats af each tram line report a positive profit and finances window filtered by Tram also states a positive Operating Profit for any month.