News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[BUG] waiting time based on set schedules instead of actual departures

Started by Mariculous, January 16, 2020, 08:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

Hey there,

What happened?
I was just wondering why my bus stops waiting time (5:20) was roughly 1/3 of my lines frequency (~14:58), where only exactly one line is serving that stop.
I had scheduled my line to a frequency of 10:40 but it missed roughly every third schedule for many months already.

For testing purposes I just increased the frequency to 5:20 without adding any vehicles to the line. The bus stops waiting time was immediately invalidated and when it was recalculated it was 3:48.
Later on some raised to 3:54 whilst others raised to 4:00, which is even weirder.

What would I expect?
I would expect the waiting time to be 1/2 of lines actual frequency, which is displayed in the line window, no matter what frequency I set in the schedule. In this case it would have been ~7:30

jamespetts

Waiting times are principally based on data about passengers' actual waiting times; however, there is a heuristic estimation algorithm used to guess the likely waiting times where no actual data have been accumulated yet. There is a method for calculating service frequency - I cannot recall exactly how it works now, but you should find it, I think, in simline.cc.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

Quote from: jamespetts on January 16, 2020, 11:11:36 PMWaiting times are principally based on data about passengers' actual waiting times
Well that one doesn't seem to work properly.
The line is actually runing at ~13 minutes frequency on average for months now whilst set to schedule every 5:20 where the stop still states quite odd waiting times, currently 3:48.I should seek this in the code, it really seems like some guess is quite broken.

jamespetts

Quote from: Freahk on January 17, 2020, 01:05:21 AM
Well that one doesn't seem to work properly.
The line is actually runing at ~13 minutes frequency on average for months now whilst set to schedule every 5:20 where the stop still states quite odd waiting times, currently 3:48.I should seek this in the code, it really seems like some guess is quite broken.

It will be interesting to see what you are able to find - sometimes, it is hard to spot one's own errors, and a fresh pair of eyes can be quite helpful.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.