News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Removal of world record speeds?

Started by freddyhayward, January 23, 2020, 07:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddyhayward

I have just removed all world record functionality and mentions from the code in this pull request: https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-extended/pull/127. Personally, I find them annoying. Does anyone here appreciate the feature, or find it useful or fun? Would anyone object to it being gone?

Phystam

I agree. Sometimes they are very verbose (especially at the beginning of the game), and the system of world records is not economical, so the system not good for Extended.

Ranran(retired)

Certainly it is annoying like spam, but I think the problem is that the record is reset. (every time you launch the game?)
It wouldn't seem annoying if it only appeared if it really set a new world record in the game.
On the other hand, it remains questionable whether the save is worth including that data and whether it involves the coding effort...
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

The world records were in the past used by Standard to calibrate the speed bonus, but this changed long ago when it was realised that very fast aircraft (e.g. Concorde) made the system unworkable. They have been retained as a purely cosmetic feature, but, as Ranran points out, these data are not saved.

The speed records measure the fastest service speed in game for each waytype (e.g. rail, tram, narrowgauge, water, air, etc.). This is not the way in which speed records are normally dealt with in real life.

Can anyone think of a good reason for retaining these? If not, I am minded to adopt the patch.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

+1 for Remove. They add nothing to game play and are confusing.

Elemental

I am also for removing them. If they were not reset, they would be interesting.

Mariculous

If they were stored, thus not spamming world records after each reload, they would at least be a useless fun feature.
The way they are implemented, they are just spam, so +1 for remove and +1 for store and retain. Either of them is fine.

Matthew

(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Vladki

Same as others, either save the past records, or remove them.

Ves

I agree with the rest, remove or save the speeds.

jamespetts

I have now merged Freddy's patch for removing these. Thank you all for the feedback and to Freddy for the implementation.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.