News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Hello, need some help!

Started by Alejandro, February 09, 2020, 03:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alejandro

I'm using version 120. Today I downloaded manually pak 128 German latest version but it requires simutrans version 121. There is my problem. I live in Cuba and due to restriction measures in my country it is impossible to download the game using the online installer. I always have done it manually downloading portable versions, but I have searched without success a portable version of 121. I also have not access to Source Forge website. If someone could help me sending me the installed 121 version (without and graphic pak) I would be very grateful. My e-mail is alegradelafuente@gmail.com. Can also use messenger if you like. Thanks

Ters

They block sourceforge, but allow access to gmail? I would have expected the opposite.

You don't mention what OS you use.

Matthew

Ters, you cross-posted with Roboron's offer of help in Spanish, so hopefully our Cuban friend will be able to download from his cloud.

I have put the Windows version here and here too. Enjoy 121.0, Alejandro!
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

captain crunch

Quote from: Ters on February 09, 2020, 09:23:27 AM
They block sourceforge, but allow access to gmail? I would have expected the opposite.
sourceforge blocks Cuba:
QuoteFor users of Sourceforge.net, you represent you are not a person on a list barring you from receiving services under U.S. laws or other applicable jurisdiction, including without limitations, the Denied Persons List and the Entity List, and other lists issued by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security, detailed at http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/lists-of-parties-of-concern (or successor sites thereto). Users residing in countries on the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control sanction list, including Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria, may not post Content to, or access Content available through, SourceForge.net.

Roboron

Situations like this make me think if SourceForge is really the best option for hosting all of Simutrans-related releases and paksets sources... There's no point on having an open project in a site were not everyone can get in... Specially if we end up having to redistribute the binaries one-by-one  ::-\

Alejandro

Thank you very much everybody. I have solved the problem using a VPN (I think I just cheated US government 🙃) and finally get a portable version from Source Forge. It's nice to know there is people willing to help you. Thanks

Ters

Quote from: Roboron on February 09, 2020, 08:23:01 PMSituations like this make me think if SourceForge is really the best option for hosting all of Simutrans-related releases and paksets sources
The problem is that pretty much all the alternatives are also in USA, and therefore subject to the same export restrictions.

Roboron

Quote from: Ters on February 10, 2020, 04:41:48 PMThe problem is that pretty much all the alternatives are also in USA, and therefore subject to the same export restrictions.

Yeah, but that's most likely to happen to big actors. We just need to find a small project the USA government won't care about. And we already have one, right there. Alejandro was able to access the forums and the webpage, the problem arised when he had to go to an outsider to get the binaries. Why don't we host the releases ourselves? ^^

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I used to host at least some of the Simutrans stuff - I remember with a little pride at the monthly bandwidth.

I've had some rough times which caused me to temporarily back away from hosting (which I have always highly regretted); I don't remember if that was a contributing factor, but I believe devs found it better/easier to use tools designed for the purpose.

That being said, if at any time anyone wants to move stuff or just copies of stuff somewhere on the server, of course I'd be overjoyed.

There is a possible tiny wrinkle in that I, of course, do webhosting on my server and it's a CloudLinux/cPanel environment, which is geared toward keeping shared hosting separate from each other, so there's some stuff the server won't support, which may prevent it being a good option.

But if whatever tools needed are able to be run, I am of course very happy to host anything desired.