News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

I need translation help

Started by Alejandro, February 10, 2020, 04:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alejandro

Hello. I recently downloaded pak128 German. I know you can switch between languages but my problem is that all the factories and goods still in German, and I don't master that language, only Spanish and English. Is there a way for solving this? Thanks in advance.

makie

It seems, someone was needs to translate it to Spanish or English.

You can do this here :)
https://translator.simutrans.com/script/directions.php?vers=20&obj=good

ampersand

Would you like to check my translations to English? so far just did the airplanes, so there's not much to check. what do you need most to start enjoying the game? Vehicles? Buildings?

Alejandro

ampersand

I have translated all types of freight, you can see them in a file at https://translator.simutrans.com/data/tab/20//en.tab . However I can not guarantee you can safely translate into any other language from there. This is for several reasons, but maybe will improve in next versions. What do you mean with units?

Vladki

I have checked that translation, although I do not use German actively, I spotted one error:

Zement
Concrete
Zement_lose
Concrete-loose

Zement is Cement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cement
typicaly one would think about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_cement or something similar.

makie

I think Vladki is right, I changed it.

makie

I am not a native English speaker but I think

translation of Apotheke to Chemist is wrong

I think Pharmacy for modern one and Drugstore for old one is better

Mariculous

"chemist", "chemist's shop" or "chemist's" is fine in British English.
Drugstore is american english, apothecary also exists but I gues it's obsolete and not widely used.
"pharmacy" seems to be independant of the language variety but not quite widely used in both,  Britain and the US.

So I think all of them are fine and there is no clear "best" translation here.

Would be nice if a native speaker could confirm this.

Leartin

"chemist" is just very British, just like "druggist" or "drugstore" would be very American. If it's for a british audience, chemist is fine. If it's for an international audience, pharmacy might be better, just to be neutral.

(meh. since freahk edited his post, mine is pretty much obsolete, since I'm not a native speaker. My wife is American though...)

makie

A chemist is a person who work in a  pharmacy or  :o ok i am puzzled  :-X

Mariculous

Quote from: Leartin on February 18, 2020, 03:53:40 PMmeh. since freahk edited his post, mine is pretty much obsolete, since I'm not a native speaker.
Sorry, I thought it was little to vague before :/

Leartin

Quote from: makie on February 18, 2020, 04:05:26 PM
A chemist is a person who work in a  pharmacy or  :o ok i am puzzled  :-X
A chemist is also the place where a chemist works, which is also a pharmacy, making the chemist a pharmacist ;)
Meanwhile, a chemist could also work at a chemical plant and have nothing to do with pharmacy (a bit like you would think of a doctor as a healer, but it might be a doctor of literature)

In German, think Klempner and Spengler. Same job (~tinsmith), but different names in different regions.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Although I can't speak for all of the US, "pharmacy" is very common. While "drugstore" is also used, our major pharmacy chains (CVS, Walgreens, etc) tend to advertise ad pharmacies.

ampersand

I changed it to chemist exactly for that it is very British on a signboard of this kind of business. Sorry if it is against the concept of naming. Please revert if necessary.

makie

Quote from: ampersand on February 20, 2020, 10:56:46 AM
I changed it to chemist exactly for that it is very British on a signboard of this kind of business. Sorry if it is against the concept of naming.
Naming concept?  ::-\ There is none.
But the primary language of pak128.german is german.
The translation to english should be so, that a player anywhere in the world, who can read more or less english, can play the pak.
This is not pak128.britain, so no need for exalting very british speaking.

ampersand thank you for your work, please continue :) this helps   8)

sadly there is another problem
when export french to simutrans it has to converted from utf8 to ISO-8859-1
ISO-8859-1 miss some chars so this converted to ?
the translator shows a error message when export the files
red is the export
green is the text in the databas 
the tiny solution is to replace this char against those that exist in the character set
the big solution change french for all sets to utf8

the same in polski with ISO-8859-2

I re import the text so the ? (wrong char) showed as suggestion

Mariculous

Not quite sure if I understand the issue.
Doesn't the translator support utf-8 at all or did you load an ISO-whatever, added some chars and saved it as utf-8?
In that case, there might not have happened a conversion. Saving files with ISO-whatever chars like ümläüts or áccént stuff as utf-8 a without properly converting their charcodes will cause � in utf-8
If the translator does not properly convert them, you will need to copy/paste the text into some converter e.g. notepad++ and actually convert the charcodes.
If simutranslator doesn't support utf-8 at all... Well in that case we indeed got a problem.

makie

the translator internal use utf8 for all languages

simutrans use a lot of different iso xxxx-y and sometimes utf8 for the different languages 

prissi

Simutrans shoudl use utff always internally, so unless there is a special resaon, translation files should be exported as UTF-8.