The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Travel time based congestion  (Read 327 times)

Offline freddyhayward au

• Languages: EN
Travel time based congestion
« on: February 13, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »
https://github.com/freddyhayward/simutrans-extended/tree/travel-time-congestion

I created a new branch with an early implementation of travel time based congestion as proposed by Freahk. At this stage, the core mechanics for private cars now work, but not yet for player vehicles. I would be grateful if some of our more experienced coders could review the changes as they are now and after player vehicle congestion is implemented.

Essentially, the algorithm calculates the additional travel time per tile based on the time taken for vehicles to pass over them: a 100% congestion rating represents double the travel time, while 500% represents four times the travel time.

Offline Freahk

• Languages: DE, EN
Re: Travel time based congestion
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:56:19 AM »
Nice one, I will give it a try. As discussed, additional time per tile perfectly makes sense, it will save a little memory whilst not losing any required information.

I will give it a try, may I ask what does not work about player cars? Don't you measure their times at all currently or is it about calculating the guessed travel times?
In the latter case, I would just assume a player car can travel at min(vehicle_speed, road_speed) on any tile if uncongested. This is not entirely true, for sure, but this guess should not pretty negatively affect the calculations.
In case of curves, this speed restriction does not depend on the actual type of player vehicle, so it's also kind of congestion.
Slopes are more difficult but both types of slowdowns are not a local thing, they depend on where the vehicle came from, thus likely complicated to calculate.

Edit: Speed limits, including curve slowdown can be read from the route_info_t

Offline freddyhayward au

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:18:30 PM »
Player vehicles (buses etc.) are a separate class to private cars. They share a vehicle_base_t but this extends to airplanes/trains etc, and they also use different speed measurements (i think?) etc. It's just a matter of duplicating over the code and changing a few things, which I'm in the process of doing. Or, perhaps there's a more elegant way of merging the two. Since there are multiple ways of traversing the same tile (e.g. moving straight through a junction or turning left), expected travel times are based on the distance traveled by the vehicle, measured at each hop. This also stops prevents 'instant' hops by private cars distorting the data.

As for the maximum speed of vehicles, I'm not sure how complicated it is getting the current top speed limited by curves/slopes/power/weight (edit: get_min_top_speed(), I think? or maybe this measures something else.) compared to the actual top speed defined by the pakset. From what I've seen the first might actually be simpler, but we shall have to see.

EDIT: I have now updated the branch with the implementation for player vehicles, which remains duplicate code for the time being.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 11:15:18 PM by freddyhayward »

Offline Freahk

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 02:10:56 PM »
Ah, so you simply don't measure their times at all yet and there is no player vehicle specific issues, fine, that's all I wanted to know :P

It's just a matter of duplicating over the code
Please, don't repeat yourself!
You should implement a more general stopwatch (measuring in ticks) or something like that to do the measurement and a general calc_max_speed_journey_time(way, vehicle, enter_direction, exit_direction) or something like that to calculate the estimation.

I had just found 4 (!) different implementations of ticks_to_seconds spread around the code, just in addition to the 4 different measures of time we have ingame already... this made it (and still is) a hassle to work on the seconds_per_month feature, which itself is quite simple but taking care of all these spread around code parts and different time, distance and speed units is really a hassle.

As for the maximum speed of vehicles, I'm not sure how complicated it is getting the current top speed limited by curves/slopes/power/weight
Except for curve limitations I am also not quite sure. (curve) Speed limitations are already stored as mentioned.
Slopes and even acceleration/deceleration sections around changes in speed limit however, would most likely require "simulating" the vehicles movement along these tiles assuming the road is free, also storing that data (per tile) in route_info_t, as that behavior is closely tied to the physics engine.

So if we really only need this to calculate the congestion slightly better, I don't think we should go for it. However, this is roughly the kind of information already discussed in another thread, so if we were implementing the "expected journey times" feature, to support line specific vehicle decision-making, we could "simply" use that calculated data if stored in the vehicle per tile instead of per route between stops.
In any case, this is another feature, as long as it's not implemented, we should simply assume any player vehicle can immediately accelerate to maximum speed.

get_min_top_speed() will simply return min(vehicle1.max_speed, ..., vehiclen.max_speed), thus the slowest maximum speed of all vehicles in the convoy or simply convoys max speed, so that's the one you should query when calculating expected travel time but it won't include information about any of the other mentioned aspects.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 02:32:19 PM by Freahk »

Offline freddyhayward au

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »
With some help from Freahk, I have now refactored these changes into a new class: traffic_vehicle_t inherited by both private_car_t and road_vehicle_t. I believe the branch is now ready to be merged into the main game, hence this pull request: https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-extended/pull/141.

Offline jamespetts gb

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 10:59:40 AM »
Thank you for this. Can I check whether this has been tested on a local client/server pair to see whether a network game will remain in sync with this feature?

Offline freddyhayward au

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 11:08:59 AM »
Thank you for this. Can I check whether this has been tested on a local client/server pair to see whether a network game will remain in sync with this feature?
No, it hasn't, but I will do that now.

Offline freddyhayward au

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 11:37:23 AM »
After testing for about 20 minutes, including over a new month, there don't seem to be any outstanding issues apart from versioning, which I believe I have just fixed.

Offline Freahk

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »
Great!
There is something I did not mention yesterday when we did the inheritance stuff, I was just terribly tired.
traffic_vehicle_t is not a vehicle anymore as it does not inherit from any vehicle. It should get a name better expressing what it is.
Again, I'm not a native speaker, so namefinding is always hard to me. We need something that expresses "I am an object that measures and protocols additional travel times aka congestion".
Something like congestion_measurer_t could work out, maybe there is a better term for something that measures congestion.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:27:48 PM by Freahk »

Offline jamespetts gb

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »
Thank you for your work on this - I have now had chance to test this. I have identified two issues so far: first of all, the congestion data do not seem to be saved, but rather reset to zero when saving and loading a game. This will need to be dealt with before this feature can be integrated into the master branch.

Secondly, the measurement seems to expect too high a speed from many vehicles: I have observed on a number of occasions a private car passing an entirely uncongested road and the congestion percentage increases from 0% before the car passes to a higher number (e.g. 16%) afterwards. I have not fully parsed the code, but may I ask whether in your ideal speed calculation you take into account the speed limit of the road itself? In any event, this issue will need to be looked into and fixed before this can be integrated.

I should note that I have not yet tested memory consumption and computational intensity on large maps with this feature, and this will need to be done before this can be integrated.

Thank you again for your work on this: this is much appreciated.

Offline freddyhayward au

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 03:07:12 AM »
I have just updated the branch, which hopefully fixes both of these issues. The second problem was caused by the unnecessary conversion of yards to meters and ticks to seconds, which caused rounding errors.

As for performance, I couldn't measure a significant increase in CPU usage. There was however a significant increase in memory usage. On a map with 256 towns, my branch used about 7.0GB compared to about 6.8GB on the base game, roughly an additional 200MB.

Offline jamespetts gb

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 09:26:05 AM »
Thank you for that. I think that I will have to test this on a very large map after I have dealt with the other memory consumption issues relating to private car routing discussed elsewhere.