News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

cityrules.tab

Started by ampersand, February 14, 2020, 03:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ampersand

In the current version there are a couple of different files in the config folder. In one of the recent topics there are some guidelines how does it work. Could anyone please explain anything more on what kind of rules you have decided to include and how to use them all?

In my personal case, I don't ever change anything in the default settings and finish with cities sprawling out with allotments. I wonder if this is the direct reason to never see the elaborated high level buildings contained in the last versions of the pakset.

makie

QuoteIn one of the recent topics there are some guidelines how does it work.
This is Simutrans Extended and a other Pak.
I don't know if Extended work like Standard.
QuoteIn the current version there are a couple of different files in the config folder
Normally is is no need to change something here.
Normally cityrules.tab is used. But you can rename the other cityrules_??? ??.tab to cityrules.tab.
VS??? means Version of the Pak
cityrules_VS1.1.tab = old file from pak128.german version 1.1
the other files corresponding

For Version 1.2 i had written the file new from scratch.
there are a version with Highways (mit_Autobahn) and one without (ohne_Autobahn)

about the parameter of the cityrule.tab file
look here
https://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/de_cityrules_tab?highlight=cityrules

QuoteIn my personal case, I don't ever change anything in the default settings and finish with cities sprawling out with allotments. I wonder if this is the direct reason to never see the elaborated high level buildings contained in the last versions of the pakset.
Sorry this is a bug in the official Version in 1.2 at sourceforge, your guess is correct.
If you download from https://pak128-german.de/ the bug should be solved.
Sadly i have no writing access to the file section of sourceforge to fix this.
This is the reason of no announcement for Version 1.2.
But we work on Version 1.3, i think it comes soon.

Mariculous

Quote from: makie on February 14, 2020, 04:38:43 PMI don't know if Extended work like Standard.
No! Whilst cityrules itself work the same afaik, city growth is entirely different.
That means the road patterns are still determined by cityrules but the decision if we want to upgrade a building or build a new one and in which area of the town works entirely different.

makie

Quote from: Freahk on February 14, 2020, 07:42:50 PM
No! Whilst cityrules itself work the same afaik, city growth is entirely different.
That means the road patterns are still determined by cityrules but the decision if we want to upgrade a building or build a new one and in which area of the town works entirely different.
The road patterns are just the syntax.
If the coding for decision upgrade or build a new one and in which area is different,
then the result is also completely different.
I have analyzed the coding, and write the cityrules, so i get what i want.
I get around a bug and use it.
No, that's sensitive and tricky, the bug with the allotment garden epidemic shows it.
The bug is only a missing clusters parameter in some allotment garden.
And cities growing along diagonal streets is another example.

ampersand

Thank you all for the explanations.

Quote from: makie on February 14, 2020, 04:38:43 PMNormally cityrules.tab is used. But you can rename the other cityrules_??? ??.tab to cityrules.tab.
VS??? means Version of the Pak
cityrules_VS1.1.tab = old file from pak128.german version 1.1
the other files corresponding

For Version 1.2 i had written the file new from scratch.
there are a version with Highways (mit_Autobahn) and one without (ohne_Autobahn)
This is what I asked for. After changing to v1.2 highways work inside the cities created at the start of the game.
v1.2 also contain renovation_percentage = 4, I'll try to observe how this works in a longer game.

makie

Quote from: ampersand on February 16, 2020, 02:23:34 PM
  renovation_percentage = 4, I'll try to observe how this works in a longer game.

renovation_percentage is a simple and problem-free parameter with great effect. You can change the value between 1 and 10 to adjust the city growth to your liking. I would change this parameter rather than switch the file.

1 = city like a pancake
10 = level of the houses go fast up to maximum

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: makie on February 16, 2020, 04:56:26 PM1 = city like a pancake

I dunno, have you *seen* Japanese pancakes? :)

makie

ok :) like Crepes, have you seen french Crepes :P

Matthew

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on February 16, 2020, 07:17:43 PM
I dunno, have you *seen* Japanese pancakes? :)

Well, thanks to your post, my concept of pancake has been extended. Those are very different!

Back on topic: for a long time all cities in Simutrans-Extended have been exactly square. So I am curious: in pak128.German, when a city extends, does it build a road first or a haus first? Or is it a chicken-and-egg situation?
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

makie

Street first.
extend roads from city to city to highways
no street without other street
no house without street and without other house
the city grows from Downtown outside
leaving a old town behind
tries to build trabant urban respectively satellite town with blocks of flats

the thread of this work
https://www.simutrans-forum.de/mybb/showthread.php?tid=9095