News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

seaworthy skiff ?

Started by Vladki, February 19, 2020, 09:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

I'm digging through my old patches and found this rejected patch
https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-pak128.britain/pull/47/commits/f64d6fc33256bd968f631fa1db6680b137f6fab2

Now skiff-wherry is seaworthy and can use only barge, ship and large canals. But if it is a rowing boat it should be able to use even the narrowest canals, and should not be used on open sea... James, would you reconsider it?

Spenk009

I agree with this, in that it should not be allowed on the open sea, but gain access to smaller canals in a similar fashion to narrowboats. The intention for the absence of prohibiting open sea here is to allow them on lakes, correct?

Vladki

Lakes are already considered a waterway, so it will work on lakes...

I have looked at it a bit, and maybe the reason is that the oars can be pretty long, which would be inconvenient in narrow canals, even if the boat itself would fit...

Also about the sea - this skiff has quite short range, so it would not be able to cross the sea anyway, maybe only a small bay... So now the question is if this would not be a way to allow other canal ships to be useful for coastal service, while preventing them from overseas service? So instead of forcing them to use canals, we could reduce their range.