News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Pak192.Comic In Extended

Started by Flemmbrav, February 23, 2020, 01:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flemmbrav

Since we've been talking about this for a while, I wanted to create a thread here, to discuss it properly.

So far I did manage to build the pakset in extended, only missing one kind of moving objects. That's a plus for sure.
I tried this with the makeobj from here: http://bridgewater-brunel.me.uk/downloads/Makeobj-Extended.exe and the game from here: http://bridgewater-brunel.me.uk/downloads/nightly/windows/ , running in my r8872 standard folder.

Starting the game, I discovered some issues with the pakset. First, shortened dats do not seem to work sadly. In plus, there is a weird zoom on the whole game.

My current plan is to have the Git filled with standard dats, that have the extended parameters as special commands, and to build the extended set out of that. Should I try to get rid of shortened dats during that process, or is that a thing to be implemented in extended makeobj?

Flemmbrav

QuoteIn plus, there is a weird zoom on the whole game.

Apparently that's a thing with every SDL version of Simutrans to me, I just never tried it. Shall I report the bug for Standard too?

jamespetts

Apologies for not having responded sooner to this: I do not believe that I noticed this until now.

First of all, it is a splendid thing that you are working on getting Pak192.Comic working for Extended. This is a lovely pakset and it would be wonderful to see an Extended version of this.

Secondly, the shortened .dat feature has not yet been backported from Standard to Extended, so this is not currently working in Extended makeobj. There have been people in the past who have worked on a number of Standard to Extended backports, but that project does not seem to be continuing at present. Anyone who would like to work on this would be welcome to do so.

As to the SDL issue, this is not something that I have been able to reproduce, but if this is a problem that can equally be reproduced in Standard, I do suggest that you post a bug report in the Standard bug reports section.

I shall look forward to seeing progress on this.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Flemmbrav

Thanks to a lot of great people implementing shortened dats, we can finally bring you a snapshot of an extended version of our pakset.
Up until now, this is just the very same pakset as the Simutrans standard users get to play with, but I doubt this state will stay

Downloadlink for the pakset will be this one: https://github.com/Flemmbrav/Pak192.Comic/releases/download/Nightly/pak192.comic-extended-nightly.zip

jamespetts

Excellent! Thanks to Freddy for bringing this from Standard.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ranran(retired)

Fantastic. I am happy to see more options for extended paksets.

A few things I noticed. You can set shortcut keys for some of the functions added to extended.

# TOOL_SHOW_RIBI=129
# TOOL_SHOW_SIGNALBOX_COVERAGE=132
# TOOL_CONVOY_NAMEPLATES=133
# TOOL_CONVOY_LOADINGBAR=134

simple_tool[129]=,
simple_tool[132]=,
simple_tool[133]=,
simple_tool[134]=,

However, the road restriction display doesn't even show the tile coloring unless there is a pak for the ribi arrow...
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Flemmbrav

We're currently doing stuff with liveries.
In case some danish people are reading this: do you know how the DSB-liveries are called? And when they got introduced?

Flemmbrav

We finally integrated directions and cabins from vehicles.

While this looks awesome on first sight, it definitly makes you wonder if everything is all right when the lights don't change directions with the trains.
Is there a way to fix that?

jamespetts

Quote from: Flemmbrav on October 24, 2020, 01:25:29 PM
We finally integrated directions and cabins from vehicles.

While this looks awesome on first sight, it definitly makes you wonder if everything is all right when the lights don't change directions with the trains.
Is there a way to fix that?

The code was not designed with the idea that people would have graphics so detailed that the brake lights would be visible; in Pak128.Britain-Ex, the vehicles are generally rendered in such a way that the lights cannot be seen to be illuminated.

Vladki

I think that it would be nice to have a special color that behaves according to the direction of train.

jamespetts

Quote from: Vladki on October 24, 2020, 05:11:09 PM
I think that it would be nice to have a special color that behaves according to the direction of train.

That would be interesting, but would probably require a major rewrite of the fantastically complex and obscure graphics code. If anyone is doing that, then it would be very helpful to allow for more player colours (and therefore more players) at the same time.

Mariculous

I don't think that's a good idea.
Adding image defintions for backward driving should be much easier and more flexible.

prissi

You have two player colors so there could be already (14*14)=196 player combinations. Also I doubt further player colors are distinct enough. Even some of the current are quite similar on shaded vehicles.

Also player color are configurable (or at least there was a patch for that).

Flemmbrav

I personally do not need more player colours. Being able define the player colours is a lot of help in the right direction tho.

Instead, I'd much rather have an extra image for vehicles that change stuff when driving backwards. I made a extension request for that here: https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,20457.0.html

Fieters

So I downloaded both, Simutrans Extended Nightly and pak192.comic-extended-nightly. I unzipped everything and within the pak192 folder there are no folders. Therefor I can not load the PAK. Is there a fix for this?

Best regards ;)

Flemmbrav

How big are your .zip files?
Where did you get them from?
This seems suspicious.

Fieters

I downloaded the "pak192.comic-extended-nightly" from your GitHub: https://github.com/Flemmbrav/Pak192.Comic/releases/tag/Nightly

I downloaded a functioning version before but on a different PC. This version worked just fine.

ZIP Size is 107mb.

Flemmbrav

107MB seems just fine to contain the Pakset.
Folders being empty doesn't make sense in that regard.
Did you check your malware protection?

Fieters

Yes I did check.

I just saw that I forgot critical information. Everything is in the zip and gets unzipped. What's missing is the config, sound and text folder. Im not sure which of these is needed. When I launch the game and load the PAK I get the "Can't read Cityrules.tab" error. When copying the Config, text and sound folder from the Pak128.Britain-Ex I get the following error: [...] cannot resolve 'GOOD-Deceased' [...].

My guess right now is that the pak192.comic-extended-nightly is missing the config folder somehow. 2 PCs and different downloadtimes, location and both times the same problem.

Thanks for looking into it :)

Flemmbrav

Oh yes, that indeed is some critical information.
Github didn't compile the pakset properly because of a small error i made (shame on me).
Should work if you download it in 30minutes, unless i made more errors than that.

Thanks a lot for reporting the issue!

Edit:
Looking fine to me, at least our Serverset did compile successfull.
In case the next commits destroy it again, I did upload it here to give it a try:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1npzVddDyBlIWv6YDbd80SI6cWfjq5AVJ/view?usp=sharing

Fieters

New version launches just fine. However upon clicking on a track where a "track_presignal_light" is, the game crashes. I did get the crash clicking other things as well. It says "Vector_tpl [...] out of bounds: 2 not in 0..1"

Flemmbrav

I can't reproduce this on both, the game from my gdrive nor the current nightly on Extended #8afbbce.
Could someone else try that with a newer Extended too?

Flemmbrav

a year later....
we finally have classes in our balancing script!
Obviously, there ain't a lot of objects using this by now, but adding classes to vehicles luckily ain't rocket science, even if it means to draw yellow lines.

Babysteps, but we get there.