News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

[idea] Dark theme for our simutrans

Started by Yona-TYT, March 09, 2020, 12:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yona-TYT

I think a dark theme would look good on simutrans, so ease the view of night players.  8)

This is the one I use, courtesy of Learting (Although it is of high contrast).  :P

Edit.
I leave attached the latest changes:

prissi

If you want to share, you would need to attach something ... Or why is this an extension request?

Yona-TYT

Quote from: prissi on March 09, 2020, 01:21:10 AM
If you want to share, you would need to attach something ... Or why is this an extension request?

I don't have the source files of the high contrast theme and I'm not very good at designing. I'm afraid.
I think it is a great idea to have a dark theme, and that it is there along with the standard themes.

Leartin

I'll check if the sources for the dark theme are still around when I'm home, maybe it can be tweaked with features that did not exist yet when I made it. Since you use it regularly, maybe you can tell me where there are problems so I can look at them.

Yona-TYT

I see some problems with the checkboxes and arrows, since they are exceedingly large.

As for the settings, I will try to improve the colors as much as possible :) .

@prissi, I would like to make the color of the news bar transparent, is this possible?. A transparent black color would look great. :D

I mean that bottom bar that shows the messages (newsticker).

Yona-TYT

I have given a touch up to the texts and the filling of some elements.

I have taken a file with template for the parameters. :P

What do you think ?.

prissi

Well it is certainly not my taste, but taste differes a lot. I rather prefer bright themes.

Leartin

Original Sources attached

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Leartin on March 11, 2020, 05:02:48 PMOriginal Sources attached
Thank you very much friend.  ;)

I need to change the color of the text in these lists, what parameters should I use?.

prissi

These are hardcoded as a lot of other colors.

Leartin

IIRC, the issue was that those colors are referenced in the help file. Therefore, if those colors could be picked by the theme, the help file would be wrong.

There are solutions to this.
1) One could write the label of the checkmarks - "City attraction", "Land Attraction" and "Monument" - in the same color as they appear in the list. This would even increase readability to the point where the help file does not need to explain anymore which is which (or can just state "same color"), and no matter which color is chosen in the theme, it would always hold true.
2) The game could give a selection of colors referenced by name. Since they are named, the name can be translated, and no matter which colors the theme picks, the help file might provide the correct name for it.
3) Rather than referencing the color by name, the help file could show the color. eg. "blue text signifies a residential building" would be replaced by "residential building"

- I'm not sure though if help texts could cope with option 2 or 3 as they are, and if they can't, it's probably not worth implementing. But option one should be relatively easy, I think I could do that. However, since it does mean a change for everybody (even with default theme, those checkboxes would have colored text) and help texts would still require adjustment (even if it's just deletion of the clarification), I'd like to hear opinions first.
(And if I do it, should it only be 3 colors to be used by all dialogs, or should each dialog have their own?)

Yona-TYT

All dialogs should have the same 3 colors .... I would also like to specify that the same blue color is also shown in the server list.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Leartin on March 13, 2020, 09:02:01 AMIIRC, the issue was that those colors are referenced in the help file. Therefore, if those colors could be picked by the theme, the help file would be wrong. There are solutions to this. 1) One could write the label of the checkmarks - "City attraction", "Land Attraction" and "Monument" - in the same color as they appear in the list. This would even increase readability to the point where the help file does not need to explain anymore which is which (or can just state "same color"), and no matter which color is chosen in the theme, it would always hold true. 2) The game could give a selection of colors referenced by name. Since they are named, the name can be translated, and no matter which colors the theme picks, the help file might provide the correct name for it. 3) Rather than referencing the color by name, the help file could show the color. eg. "blue text signifies a residential building" would be replaced by "residential building" - I'm not sure though if help texts could cope with option 2 or 3 as they are, and if they can't, it's probably not worth implementing. But option one should be relatively easy, I think I could do that. However, since it does mean a change for everybody (even with default theme, those checkboxes would have colored text) and help texts would still require adjustment (even if it's just deletion of the clarification), I'd like to hear opinions first. (And if I do it, should it only be 3 colors to be used by all dialogs, or should each dialog have their own?)
I was thinking of creating new warning color parameters.
gui_color_text_alert_verygood = green color: They would be used in those green texts, but I think there must be other places like the finance window maybe.

gui_color_text_alert_good = blue color: They would be used in the list of buildings, but also in names of obsolete vehicles and the list of online servers.
gui_color_text_alert_normal = yellow color: They would be used for the names of vehicle lines, although I don't know where else this can be used.

gui_color_text_alert_bad = orange color: saturation alerts for example, I don't know where else it can be useful.

gui_color_text_alert_verybad = red color: They can be used in vehicles that cannot find the route, unassigned line names, servers that do not respond.

===================================================================================================================================================

I have worked on this little addition of two new parameters for the loading bar.

gui_color_loadingbar_progress
gui_color_loadingbar_inner

Hope all is well.  :P

DrakenJ35

Great, is it ready to be used, or is it a WIP? If it's the former, I'll go and give it a try, it'll be great when playing it in the evening.

Yona-TYT

I have not yet generated the pak files from my friend @learting sources, however I have one ready for a long time.
You should only copy these two files ("highcontrast.tab" and "menu.highcontrast.pak") to the "themes" directory.  :P

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Leartin on March 11, 2020, 05:02:48 PMOriginal Sources attached
@Learting, can you porveer me the pak files ?, I don't get along with makeobject. X_X

Yona-TYT

@Prissi, is it possible to change the size in the editable text boxes ?. ???
look at the picture:

prissi

Yona-TYT

Quote from: prissi on May 19, 2020, 02:47:03 PM
Yes, look at the large theme.

If I have looked, I suppose it is "gui_edit_height", but it seems to be broken since it does not cause any effect.

Maybe it got damaged when the windows were redesigned?.

Leartin

It's "gui_button_height" - not sure why. Nevermind, wrong boxes

These seem to only use "linespace", which is based on the font size. They don't actually change size in any theme unless you change the fontsize.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Leartin on May 19, 2020, 04:11:29 PMIt's "gui_button_height" - not sure why. Nevermind, wrong boxes These seem to only use "linespace", which is based on the font size. They don't actually change size in any theme unless you change the fontsize.
Thank you very much! I suppose I will leave those boxes like this.

I attach an update with the latest parameters.

Copy the files "high-contrast (large) .tab" and "menu.highcontrast (large) .pak" to the "themes" directory of simutrans.