News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Optional passing loop

Started by Gimmm, March 30, 2020, 01:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gimmm

Hi everybody,

I'm designing a railway network in simutrans with only one track connecting the various stops. In order to make trains be able to pass in both directions I'm building passing loops near the stations. However, each time a train enters a passing loop it loses some speed. My passing loop design is attached below (signals are basic signals, one way). I'd like to make trains use the passing loop as few times as possible in order to avoid speed loss, but with this design, trains are obliged to use the passing loop even if they don't need to (that's why I build them near stations).

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks a lot.

Mariculous

You can't achieve this. (in standard)

Using choose signals and two station platforms might be an option.

Vladki

If you want to avoid the slowdown you have to build the loops in places where the train would turn anyway. Or make the loop at the station, where the train stops anyway, so the slowdown does not matter.

ASV62

because there's no way to use platform choose signals for waypoints, building your loops in stations seems to be the reasonable option, however, only the first train reserve the main line platform would benefit from not losing speed, the opposing train must be diverted to use loop line platform.

and placing choose signals, end of choose signals in your intended system would be very confusing indeed.

People who was born with this kind of lifestyle is an artist, while talents are philosophist ....