Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

segfault with demo.sve

Started by Phystam, March 31, 2020, 12:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phystam

I got a segfault message in demo.sve.

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. I am afraid that I am having trouble reproducing this. May I ask at what point in time in demo.sve (i.e, month and in-game time) that this occurs?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

freddyhayward

The backtrace looks familiar to me - I believe that this occurred in another save when I deleted an intercity road using the public player.

jamespetts

Phystam - can I check whether the above error occurred after deleting a road?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Phystam

Just waiting -- I did nothing.

Vladki

Phystam

jamespetts

Can I ask again, therefore, how long that you waited (i.e., what the in-game time was when the crash occurred)? I need to know this in order to check whether I have waited long enough.

However, I should note that the 64-bit windows nightly builds had not been compiling between the 29th of March and now (and I have just fixed them). I suggest that you re-test with the Windows 64-bit build with to-day's date to check whether that solves the problem, as some crashes have been solved since around the 29th of March, I think.

freddyhayward

Quote from: jamespetts on April 06, 2020, 05:58:55 PMCan I ask again, therefore, how long that you waited (i.e., what the in-game time was when the crash occurred)?
In my testing of demo.sve on the latest linux build, I usually get a crash in under two months, often ~4 hours into the starting month (May).

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on April 06, 2020, 05:58:55 PMI suggest that you re-test with the Windows 64-bit build with to-day's date to check whether that solves the problem, as some crashes have been solved since around the 29th of March, I think.
I tested on build # a8918ba windows 64-bit version, but frozen on 1945 June 2:52:06/6:24:00 with demo.sve.

EDIT:
Timing seems random, as reported by freddyhayward. But in my case it's a freeze rather than a crash. CPU usage increases when it freezes. Some freeze in May, others freeze in July.

EDIT2:
In May, I also confirmed a crash without causing a freeze.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

I am afraid that I have been unable to reproduce this either with a debug build or with the latest downloaded release build, both with fast-forwarding and not fast-forwarding and waiting until August.

Phystam

I can no longer reproduce it for some reason. Thank you.

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know.

Ranran(retired)

I still cannot reach the end of WW2.
However, once I save, I can move on, but I can never continue playing for more than three months in my PC.
CPU usage is around 7% and there is still room for memory usage.
Since your computer is high spec, I'm guessing it may take longer to cause a crash or it will not happen. (´・ω・`)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on April 08, 2020, 11:42:20 AM
I still cannot reach the end of WW2.
However, once I save, I can move on, but I can never continue playing for more than three months in my PC.
CPU usage is around 7% and there is still room for memory usage.
Since your computer is high spec, I'm guessing it may take longer to cause a crash or it will not happen. (´・ω・`)

Without being able to reproduce this reliably, this is likely to be virtually impossible to fix. If you can find any other map on which this can be reproduced with greater reliability, that would be very helpful, as I have simply not been able to provoke any freeze within any reasonable period (even after leaving it running for many hours) with demo.sve.