News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Oneway signs/lane affinity

Started by Mariculous, April 22, 2020, 01:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

Can anyone please explain lane affinity signs to me? Do they even work at all for private cars?
Specifically, How do I need to place them when two one way roads merge or diverge?
In most diverging cases, I want to allow both lanes to be used for vehicles running straight but only the left for left-turning vehicles. Sometimes, however it's "turn left on both lanes, go straight from the right lane" or rarely even "go straight on both, turn left from the left lane and right from the right lane"
In most merging cases I want cars on the right road to prefer the right lane and cars on the left road to prefer the left lane, so they can merge better.

Is that even what lane affinity signs are about or do they behave differently?
No matter how much I played around with the checkboxes, I could not see any difference in behavior.

THLeaderH

A brief explanation is available here about a lane affinity sign. Lane affinity signs have no effect on citycars since they have a different driving algorithm from road vehicles.

In most diverging cases, I want to allow both lanes to be used for vehicles running straight but only the left for left-turning vehicles.
In this case, please turn on "Left" button only and left-turning cars try to move on the left lane. Please note that cars cannot move on the left lane if the traffic is too dense.

Mariculous

Quote from: THLeaderH on April 22, 2020, 03:15:47 PMLane affinity signs have no effect on citycars since they have a different driving algorithm from road vehicles.
Well that explains the behavior, in which case those are useless to me as I'm trying to get a little more capacity on highways full of citycars.

Anyways, thanks for the explaination.