News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Public right of way and best way to build bus station in town ?

Started by Robert57, April 01, 2020, 04:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert57

Hello,

I am trying to figure out exactly how the "Public right of way" status is assigned to a road.

Also, as a related topic (and once I know the first answer this one should be easier, I guess...) I'd like to understand what is the best a good enough way to build a central bus station in town (without having to destroy the whole block and even more). And any kind of road where I can put any sign I want without being annoyed by a "This sign or signal cannot be placed here" message.

Could any of you help me understand or point me to a tutorial about it?

If that matters, I playing wih simutrans extended 120.2.1 with the latest Britain pak.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Vladki

This topic should be moved to "simutrans extended discussion"

All roads built within city limits are immediately taken over by city (get a sidewalk pavement) and become public
Intercity roads built at the start of the game, or connecting industries are public right of way, an stay such even if you upgrade them.
I'm not sure about the exact rules though.

freddyhayward

As for bus stations, it depends on your needs. If you need high capacity (> 50 passengers at a time) with a small footprint (for faster transfer times), use bus terminals (for dead-end stops), or adjacent train/underground station buildings (this may require demolishing a building or two). If you don't need as much capacity then just use regular bus shelters. If you need somewhere for buses to wait, create a large stop just outside of town where land is cheaper and traffic won't be affected.

Robert57

Quote from: Vladki on April 01, 2020, 07:43:10 PMAll roads built within city limits are immediately taken over by city (get a sidewalk pavement) and become public
Not always actually. I've noticed that if I destroy enough and build a road not touching any other building or road (not even diagonally) inside a city, it does not get tagged as public right of way. See the attached pictures above which where taken almost side by side : one touching another public land when build, the other not (and thus not affected by public right of way).
I'd like to know if there is a better way to achieve the same result without having to destroy so much.
The aim being to build an early bus hub like we can see them in many cities (see attached picture).

For that, I struggle with two things :

• the public right of way
  • the "No Entry Sign" which doesn't seem to like being placed on the first/last tile of a road
the combination of the two forcing me to destroy more than should be necessary.

Thank you, and freddyhayward as well for the advice. Always appreciated.

freddyhayward

Are you making use of the one-way and parallel-stop road settings? These can be accessed by ctrl+clicking the regular road icons. Firstly, you would no longer have to use no-entry signs. Secondly, each bus stop tile could then hold two buses at once. If a single tile (two buses at once on parallel stop mode) is enough for your needs, then you would no longer need the choose sign.

Also, why exactly are public rights of way an issue here? The only reason I can think of is that you want to prevent private cars from entering, in which case you need to use private road signs which I believe can be placed on straight (i.e. non-diagonal, non-corner, non-junction) non-public road sections. You might also want to 'protect' these roads from being automatically connected to the city's roads by placing markers (shift+m) surrounding them, although this would require further demolition.

Finally, I would always reconsider building large bus hubs inside cities. It's unavoidable in this game that complex stops take up a huge amount of space. I can't think of any further ways to make your station more compact without your roads being taken over or huge amounts of demolition. That's why I usually have passengers use small, compact stops within cities and have vehicles wait for schedules in large stops out of town.

Robert57

Quote from: freddyhayward on April 02, 2020, 08:27:58 PMAre you making use of the one-way and parallel-stop road settings? These can be accessed by ctrl+clicking the regular road icons. Firstly, you would no longer have to use no-entry signs. Secondly, each bus stop tile could then hold two buses at once.
No I didn't, I wasn't aware of their existence! And that should solve most of my troubles. Thanks a lot!
I managed to create one-way road this way but I didn't understand how to make a parallel-stop with a tile holding two stops.
Is there anything specific to do or just having a one way street does the trick?

Quote from: freddyhayward on April 02, 2020, 08:27:58 PMAlso, why exactly are public rights of way an issue here?
It is was (?) a problem to place no-way signs to make a road one-way. It shouldn't be a problem anymore with the trick above.

Quote from: freddyhayward on April 02, 2020, 08:27:58 PMFinally, I would always reconsider building large bus hubs inside cities. It's unavoidable in this game that complex stops take up a huge amount of space. I can't think of any further ways to make your station more compact without your roads being taken over or huge amounts of demolition. That's why I usually have passengers use small, compact stops within cities and have vehicles wait for schedules in large stops out of town.
Noted. I am mainly experimenting to see how things can work out. I'll try your way :).

Thanks a lot.

freddyhayward

Quote from: Robert57 on April 03, 2020, 09:59:00 AM
I managed to create one-way road this way but I didn't understand how to make a parallel-stop with a tile holding two stops.
Is there anything specific to do or just having a one way street does the trick?
Use the 'parallel stop mode' option at the top of the menu that appears after ctrl+click, and drag that over the stop in question (or later place the stop). Parallel stop mode works exactly the same as one-way mode, except that one-way mode doesn't allow two vehicles stopping on on the same tile. Usually, that should be enough.