News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Light Rail Infrastructure

Started by Mariculous, April 19, 2020, 02:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

I'll have a look at ths. Might have been a mistake at semi-automated constraint changes.
It was intended to allow deep level tubes in light rail tunnels because they are even smaller than light rail loading gauge, thus could use such these larger tunnels.

Edit: I've checked this and from my understanding it seems to be fine.
prohibitive 0 is tramways, prohibitive 1 is tube loading gauge and prohibitive 2 was unused before, now it's used for light rail (loading gauge)

I just confirmed this ingame:
The new constraint is yet untranslated as prohibitive 2-2 and prohibitive 7-2 respectively and deep level tube stock cannot run on tram tracks.

Edit: I just noticed it doesn't seem like I pushed the latest state.

According to en.tab, "Light rail electrification" was meant to be Permisive 5, which I have taken over.
Permissive 4 is still unused on rails though.
So it might be more sensible to use Permissive 4 instead.

Mariculous

Guess that's worth bumping:
I just pushed the electrification dat file recently and didn't add the images nor a lot of fixes I did before.
In its previously pushed state it should not even have been possible to build the pakset, dlr 3rd-rail images were missing, sorry about this.

Please give it another try.

Apart from dlr 3rd-rail cost balancing, the changes can be considered final, bridges and elevated ways are currently in my little blender lab. I thought we can get a much more DLR-ish look and feel when modelling those from scratch to their real-world example.
Especially these won't use usual ballast rails but fixed rails instead.

Those additions are independant of the current changes, thus I'd appreciate some testing and the current state can already be pulled in independently of elevated ways and bridges.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for your work on this. I have now pulled the latest version from your Git repository and undertaken some preliminary testing. Results so far suggest that the tube trains do not incorrectly use ordinary tramways.

The DLR electrification looks good:

However, I notice a slight aberration near the tunnel mouth (apparent in the above image), which is not present on some of the other tunnel mouths. I wonder whether this is an issue with track graphics inside the portal? I should be grateful if you could look into this.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

Seems like there was an issue when exporting the png from gimp.
Fixed, added the xcf, so it doesn't get lost and moved light rail images to the images subdirectory.

James, you are stated to be the author of RailTunnelConcrete. Do you still have the blend files somewhere?
I'd try to add some different underground images, currently all concrete tunnels share the same channel tunnel underground graphics.

jamespetts

Thank you for that, and apologies for the delay: I have taken to hiding from the hot weather in my air conditioned shed away from my development computer.

I have attempted to compile the new version, but I seem to be missing the rail-tunnel-concrete-light image, and the pakset fails to compile. Could you check whether you have staged this? Thank you.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Mariculous

The image is in place.
I just missed to push the very last tiny change which adjusted the cursor and icon to the new location, sorry about this.
Should compile now.

jamespetts

Excellent, thank you for that. I have now incorporated this into the pakset, so it should be available from to-morrow's nightly build. Thank you very much for your work on this: this is a splendid enhancement.

If anyone has any research data on light rail tracks, as I believe that the DLR use much lighter rail sections than ordinary railways, that would be very helpful, as we could do with a corresponding light rail track type (with suitably low weight limit and cost), too.

Mariculous

I just noticed some translations were missing, so I added these and noticed you just did the same.
I just merged the changes, picking your translation where possible.

Imho "DC Bottom Contact Third Rail Electrification" fits better than "Driverless Light Rail Electrification" as neither the driverless part nor the light rail part are a restriction of this type of electrification.
If you agree, just change this, otherwise it doesn't matter pretty much anyway as there are no further bottom contact third rail vehicles in the UK anyways.

Quote from: jamespetts on June 28, 2020, 12:33:13 AMIf anyone has any research data on light rail tracks
I don't, but I'd like to mention that research data is also required for the bottom contact electrification being used.
For now, it's just as expensive as the top contact third rail electrification, I did not change these numbers as I have no idea if it should be more expensive or cheaper.

Simmilar goes for the tunnel.
It's simply balanced somewhere in between tube and "usual" tunnel, which should be fine, but the exact number is just a guess.

Vladki

Please make a new icon for the DLR electrification, so it can be distinguished from "classic" 3rd rail

Mariculous

How do  do that?
Is there a button template somewhere so I can shrink the 3rd rail on that?

Vladki

https://graphics.simutrans.com/thumbnails.php?album=9
https://graphics.simutrans.com/displayimage.php?album=9&pid=72#top_display_media

icon-template.png   and  gui/gui64/ls-symbols-pak128.png  in pak2128.britain-ex sources