News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

19th century gameplay

Started by ampersand, April 26, 2020, 04:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ampersand

This is for makie, who claims to have been working for years on this subject...

I have tried playing form 1850 on and am happy to admit it was quite playable. Of course locos are weak as an Ascona and tram tracks need to be on almost every street, but it is obvious from historical pov.

This not to complain the rolling stock were still incomplete or to suggest any change in further development strategy. Just to ask for consideration of some new vehicles to increase playability.

So I am wondering:

makie

Quote from: ampersand on April 26, 2020, 04:17:35 PM
is it really confirmed that the first rail wagon for farm crops faster than 30 km/h was introduced only in 1895?
Many people don't believe it. Until the introduction of the air brake in 1922, freight trains were traveling very slowly. This was less due to the performance of the locomotives, the running ability of the wagons or the route, but to the number of brakes (people) who work on the trains. After most freight wagons were at least equipped with a continuous brake line, i.e. not at all with a brake themselves, the freight trains could travel significantly faster. Significantly more goods could be transported with fewer wagons and locomotives. This led to an excess of freight locomotives. Many locomotives could be decommissioned like the Prussian G3 (2068 units) and only with increasing speeds was the need for new, faster freight locomotives, such as the class 44, which only started to be available in large numbers from 1937 (1989 units).
Look at https://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Bekanntmachung,_betreffend_die_Betriebsordnung_f%C3%BCr_die_Haupteisenbahnen_Deutschlands
§13 Maximum speed at which number of brakes or number of operators on the brakes.
§26 Maximum allowed speeds

[de] look at https://pak128-german.de/inc/history.html

ampersand

How years of work can influence expertise...

Anyway, this deserves its page in the wiki.

makie

I was searching for maximum speed from freight wagons build before 1900 and i found nothing, really not one note.
An i am wondering. Why did the Prussians not find it necessary to state the maximum speed of the wagons in their standard plans?
The reason: everyone knew the official regulations. And the maximum allowed speed, all wagon can drive without problems.

Rail accident at Hugstetten 1882
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenbahnunfall_bei_Hugstetten
QuoteCause of the accident
Brakes had been assigned to six of the 28 cars. Since the train had been released for general traffic for the return trip to Colmar, two of the brakemen took care of collecting the fare after the start of the journey. Another brakeman was busy instructing a new colleague. The other two did not have sufficient knowledge of the route, so that one did not brake in the decisive downhill, the other too weakly. So the speed of the train increased due to the weight of the pushing railway wagons. The locomotive started to "rock" and put an intermittent load on the inadequate superstructure, which could not compensate for this. The locomotive staff tried to brake the locomotive and tender - to no avail. At an excessive speed of approx. 70 km / h - speedometers for speed control were still unknown - the KNIEBIS derailed and got stuck in the swampy terrain.