News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Simutrans 101 on Linux - loading is HORRIBLY slow

Started by kuba_10, May 09, 2009, 04:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuba_10

I've installed Simutrans 101 with Synaptic on the Ubuntu 9.04 x64. Then I installed pak128 and now even small maps (256x256) are taking not less than 10 minutes to load, and 512x512 loads even half a hour. I haven't experienced problems like that on Windows and ver 100... I have 4 gigs of RAM, E8400 C2D processor, so it can't be hardware. Anybody has an idea on what's going on with the game?

vilvoh

Mmmm...seems you've a 64 bits processor. Some other Linux users have reported the same problems. The issue is that there's no 64 bits version of Simutrans, but perhaps the problem is due to the libraries, possibly SDL but I don't know if there's a 64 bits version of that library.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

kuba_10

Looks like I must downgrade to 32-bit and wait till 64-bit gets more popular... even YT is not working properly.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Mmm... and it seems like there's no great rush to upgrade to 64 bit chips by most people out there... Like the problem of IPv6, it seems...

jamespetts

Kuba,

can you check whether you have any problems with the GUI in the depot window with the 64-bit version?

I wonder whether anyone could compile a 64-bit version. Is it possible to cross-compile from a 32-bit platform? I know that Simutrans is supposed to be compatible with 64-bits.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

YOu can built 64 bit version, but only with no midi sound. Maybe that is the problem, SDL_mixer is reported to have severe issues with the wrong versions. And compile with DEBUG enabled, as several versions had a problem for missing DEBUG.

jamespetts

How would one build a 64-bit version on a 32-bit machine?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Spike

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on May 09, 2009, 08:04:43 PM
Mmm... and it seems like there's no great rush to upgrade to 64 bit chips by most people out there... Like the problem of IPv6, it seems...

There just is no big pressure and no big incentives for most of the people. It'll be a slow migration, but it will happen eventually.

kuba_10

I'm new to Linux, it's been two weeks since I migrated from XP. So I'm still not able to customize anything while compilating... Anyways, GUI in the depot looks just like on the Windows version. No problems except the one I described and no MIDI at all (which is not a big problem for me... ;) )

prissi

Then turn midi off completely by using -no_midi on the commandline. This may improve loading times dramatically.

irontux

also version 102 is very slow on linux. I have amd processor 64bit, but the linux sistem is 32bit.

prissi

I have and AMD system and it is not slow. Thus I think you need to say what you have done and which pakset you are using. And did you use the binary from sourceforge?

irontux

I have used file .bin download to sourceforge. Whit packset 128 and 64.

kuba_10

I said it's from Synaptic. I'll try a Sourceforge version. Even now I've got another bug - no matter how many factories I choose, the map creator creates only 3 - 4 factories.

I downloaded the Windows version 'just for kicks' and it's creating maps quickly, but the game itself is impossible to play (1-2 fps during fullscreen). So I will use it only to create maps.
Gah, the Windows maps won't work with the Linux game...

jamespetts

prissi

Do not use wine, better use the native versions. I have no idea how the screen copy calls work under wine. I would not be surprised to be very slow then.

kuba_10

I say, it was only in purpose of creating the maps. The maps won't work though, so it was unnecessary.

wernieman

Normaly there is no big Problem to compile simutrans for 64bit for me, BUT .....

I don´t see a advantage over a 32BitVersion.
See the diskussion in this forum
- Bigger Pointer
  -> More Memory
  -> More copy (64 Bit versus 32 Bit) in SubRouttines
- Bigger Map
  -> More Memory

I hope you understand my English

kuba_10

I switched back to Windows for a while... and no signs of improvement. And what I see, is that preparation of a 320x320 map with 100 cities, 150 factories and 125 tourist attractions takes version 100.0 half a minute, while on 102.0, no matter which platform, it takes 3 hours. Also on netbook with VIA C7 1200/1GB and WinXP. That is abnormal, please help!

prissi

125 factories mean 125 factory chains, i.e. something of about 600-1000 factories. This is a completely insane setting. (On simutrans 100.0 the placement code was somehow broken, after 25 retries it gave up, resulting in crashes and many incomplete chains.)

You number of factory chains better not exceeds the number of towns much. 16 is probably a reasonable upper limit.

kuba_10

Prissi, even lowering factory chains to 10 hangs up game for at least a hour. Something is wrong with object placement, I think. Blank maps are loaded quick. Has any 102.0 user experienced any similar problem?

prissi

Not that I know. Could you make a screenshort of your new world dialoge.

kuba_10

Here you are, this is from Windows 102 version.

As far as I see, sometimes it loads quick, but more often it blocks up.

Combuijs

That is not the new world dialog. Prissi wants to know with which settings you are starting a new map. Take a screenshot before you start a new game and post it here.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Isaac Eiland-Hall

In other words, it's the screen that shows the map number, the climate/roughness/etc settings, even language... :)