News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Replace sort switch "button" with combo box

Started by Ranran(retired), May 14, 2020, 09:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

Recently I am working on the code for the list GUIs. I would like to take this opportunity to proceed with this work now according to Vladki's order.

First of all, the combo box needs more width than the button.

If it already has four buttons lined up, we have to break the layout - they are Stop list and vehicle list.

Can we replace Ascending / Descending with a short term? Japanese is easy.
It must be of universal design. Well, usually these are often displayed as ▲▼, but these characters are not supported by simutrans. (´・ω・`)
Do you want to reuse the buttons on the top and bottom scroll bars? I don't know how easy it is.

Also I think that enabled / desabled can also be a checkbox.
By the way, I notice that in ascending / descending / enabled / disabled, in English, the first letter is a mixture of uppercase and lowercase dialog. Only the Vehicle list is in upper case. However, the other buttons are mainly capitalized in other dialogs.

Anyway, I promote combo boxing.
 ∧_∧ 
 ( ・ω・)=つ≡つ
 (っ ≡つ=つ
 /   ) ババババ
 ( / ̄∪

Any opinion or help on this would be appreciated, thank you.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

This does seem to be a sensible design choice; as to the buttons, the up and the down arrows are sensible, but I am hesitant to recommend re-using those from scrollbars, since the size and graphical context of them is very specific to scroll bars and they will be confusing used elsewhere. Perhaps we need new graphics for this?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

Quote from: jamespetts on May 14, 2020, 10:55:09 AMPerhaps we need new graphics for this?
Yes, an arrow or an open triangle, like a circumflex, instead of a filled triangle might work well.

Another IMHO, the Filter enabled/disabled button is redundant and should be removed. "filter category" checkboxes should automatically be selected when a checkbox in that category was selected, as is the case in most programs noways, for example installers.

Nearly all people on my server were confused how to use filters because they always missed either to click the "enable" button or to check categories checkbox or even both...

Ranran(retired)

I also tried to replace the vehicle list and stop list sort buttons with a combo box as well, but I get this overwrapping. (´・ω・`)はあまじ

It cannot be fixed in the same way as it has a different structure than other list and finance dialogs.

jamespetts

I notice that there has been an update on this branch; may I ask whether an alternative to the scroll bar button has been found?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on May 19, 2020, 07:17:55 PMmay I ask whether an alternative to the scroll bar button has been found?
No, not yet. I just replace sort button with combo box and reduced the width of the other buttons. Then I bumped on the issue of overlapping.

Ranran(retired)

Regarding the content already incorporated in the master branch:
- Some pull-down list size settings were wrong.
- The pull-down list could sometimes overlap the main window. (This does not protrude nicely, only black characters protrude)

I fixed these bugs and threw a pull request. Please check the pull request # 173.

EDIT:
This fix is for a patch that has already been incorporated.

jamespetts

Thank you. I have merged this, but it seems not to work?

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: jamespetts on May 22, 2020, 05:09:56 PMThank you. I have merged this, but it seems not to work?
Sorry for lack of the information. I think you merged the wrong branch.
This branch has the bug mentioned above and I currently don't know how to fix it. I intended to explain it.
Please revert commit number 8096b45.

Pull Request #173 is a bug fix for other than convoy list and station list.
Convoy list and station list of that branch also has the same bug as #173 and it has not been fixed.

jamespetts

My apologies for misunderstanding: now reverted.