The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Bridgewater-Brunel game no. 3  (Read 6012 times)

Offline Matthew

• Japan Railway Journal
  • Languages: EN, some ZH, DE & SQ
Re: Bridgewater-Brunel game no. 3
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »
A quick note for those not on Discord: today's update has a bug in the logging. So I guess it's best to run the client without logging (don't use the - log parameter) and expect frequent server crashes. But if you're reading this you probably know more than me about it.  :D

Offline freddyhayward

• Devotee
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2020, 10:06:50 AM »
A quick note for those not on Discord: today's update has a bug in the logging. So I guess it's best to run the client without logging (don't use the - log parameter) and expect frequent server crashes. But if you're reading this you probably know more than me about it. 
'fortunately', the server will tend to crash before the client. But again, apologies for causing the issue...

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Devotee
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2020, 11:04:09 AM »
I have now restarted the server with Freddy's patch applied.

Offline Matthew

• Japan Railway Journal
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2020, 11:02:22 AM »
Bridgewater-Brunel crashes every time it tries to enter 1916 (crash confirmed by checking the server log). If you join and the date is December 1915, it might be best to wait and observe before changing anything.

Here are things I have noticed about the crash from the client log file (most of which are probably irrelevant):
(1) It was the start of the year.
(2) This new_month() message about industry appears every time:

(3) The other messages in that particular log do not appear every time. (7325,28,1) is a cattle farm field in Caledonia. According to the Towns chat, the farm was upgraded at that month start, but on other attempts at starting the new month, other industries are closed/upgraded/connected.
(4) That industry message always seems to be followed by many
Code: [Select]
uint32 haltestelle_t::get_service_frequency(halthandle_t destination, uint8 category) const:    Unknown frequency messages. For example, the first time there were 142,496(!) lines of such messages.
(5) Then there were a mere 377 lines of Unknown arrival time messages.
(6) One time when I unpaused the client, I got a crash in private_car_t::~private_car_t.
(7) The total size of the Simutrans-Extended process now exceeds 10GiB.

All these logs were gathered using the Windows 10 64-bit executable from Bridgewater-Brunel.
I observed this on two different VMs (one with 10GiB and one with 16GiB of RAM).

Offline freddyhayward

• Devotee
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2020, 02:50:56 PM »
I believe I have fixed the issue here: https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-extended/pull/293

Offline Matthew

• Japan Railway Journal
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2020, 04:33:55 PM »
I believe I have fixed the issue here: https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-extended/pull/293

Thank you, Freddy!

I tested Freddy's branch on Windows. In single-player mode, a Bridgewater-Brunel savegame passed into 1916 without difficulty and continued running smoothly for 1 hour 45 mins of in-game time.

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Devotee
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
Thank you very much for the fix - now incorporated.