News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

[BUG] minimap zoom level

Started by Mariculous, May 16, 2020, 07:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

On stephenson-siemens, everything was all right due to the small map.
On bridgewater, however, the maximum zoom is still quite tiny and the minimum zoom will still show very much black around a tiny map.

I would rather expect a constant size of minimap pixels in specific zoom levels, either constant in on-screen pixles or constant in on-screen percents.

jamespetts

This is not a bug - this is how the minimap has always been. That it might benefit from some improvement is not the same as it being an actual bug.

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Could this be related with the minimap crash? https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,19882.0.html

Open small game, open minimap, zoom in, open big game, open minimap, crash because you tried to zoom in to unsupported level

Mariculous

Ranran(retired)

I took a little look at this limitation, but I don't know much about it, so I need someone's perspective.
I found a comment in the code as to why zoom in is limited on large maps.

https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-extended/blob/f2aab7f6dca1201a3751eb23650f092b061ea6f1/gui/karte.cc#L534

Is it difficult to mitigate zoom-in? (´・ω・`)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Mariculous

I had a look a the code and it's actually correct that your linked line forbids the game to zoom in further, to prevent an overflow in karte_to_screen.

karte_to_screen is quite straight forward: It takes a map koord and multiplies it by zoom_in and divides it by zoom_out. One of these two is always 1.
That will result in an overflow for sure, if koord * zoom_in is greater or equal to 2^15.
Later, that calculated screen koord will be offset according to maps viewport.

I see two possible solutions here:
1. Use an sint32 version of the screen koord.

2. Apply the offset before scaling to screen koord.
Applying an offset to coordinates before passing them karte_to_screen, so the top-left corner of current minimaps viewport is (0,0) will circumvent the overflow entirely.
That, however, requires reorganising the minimap drawing code.