The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: [BUG] minimap zoom level  (Read 202 times)

Offline Freahk

• Languages: DE, EN
[BUG] minimap zoom level
« on: May 16, 2020, 07:40:20 PM »
On stephenson-siemens, everything was all right due to the small map.
On bridgewater, however, the maximum zoom is still quite tiny and the minimum zoom will still show very much black around a tiny map.

I would rather expect a constant size of minimap pixels in specific zoom levels, either constant in on-screen pixles or constant in on-screen percents.

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
Re: [BUG] minimap zoom level
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
This is not a bug - this is how the minimap has always been. That it might benefit from some improvement is not the same as it being an actual bug.

Offline Vladki

• Devotee
    • My addons, mostly roadsigns, pak128.cs
  • Languages: EN, CS
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 12:48:36 PM »
Could this be related with the minimap crash? https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,19882.0.html

Open small game, open minimap, zoom in, open big game, open minimap, crash because you tried to zoom in to unsupported level

Offline Freahk

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 02:02:00 PM »
Yes, it seems to be related.

Offline Ranran

• Languages: ja
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 02:13:00 PM »
I took a little look at this limitation, but I don't know much about it, so I need someone's perspective.
I found a comment in the code as to why zoom in is limited on large maps.

https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-extended/blob/f2aab7f6dca1201a3751eb23650f092b061ea6f1/gui/karte.cc#L534

Is it difficult to mitigate zoom-in? (´・ω・`)

Offline Freahk

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 07:02:38 PM »
I had a look a the code and it's actually correct that your linked line forbids the game to zoom in further, to prevent an overflow in karte_to_screen.

karte_to_screen is quite straight forward: It takes a map koord and multiplies it by zoom_in and divides it by zoom_out. One of these two is always 1.
That will result in an overflow for sure, if koord * zoom_in is greater or equal to 2^15.
Later, that calculated screen koord will be offset according to maps viewport.

I see two possible solutions here:
1. Use an sint32 version of the screen koord.
The scr_coord class is used quite frequently, so "simply" making it to use sint32 instead of sint16 is definitely not a good idea! We had to introduce an additional scr_coord32 type. Using a template here might be sensible.

2. Apply the offset before scaling to screen koord.
Applying an offset to coordinates before passing them karte_to_screen, so the top-left corner of current minimaps viewport is (0,0) will circumvent the overflow entirely.
That, however, requires reorganising the minimap drawing code.