The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Visualized factory storage  (Read 454 times)

Offline Ranran

• Languages: ja
Visualized factory storage
« on: May 22, 2020, 03:58:56 PM »
Hello. I brought a new sushi patch prototype from the eastern end again. (´・ω・`)

The purpose of this patch is to make it easier to visually understand the state of the factory storage.

Please taste it, you sommelier.

Goods are displayed in the same colors as station waiting bar, goods list and convoy detail loading bar.
A yellow bar shows the amount in transit. I removed its number display once, but do we need it?

In  the consumption storage, the frame of the storage bar turns orange red when it is full and yellow when it is empty and there is no in-transit(EDIT: add this flag).

Citizens are thin because they cannot eat meat. Deliver the meat to them!
This may be overkill, but it's a heartbreaking cry of the factory. We can't run the factory because we don't receive the material!

This may correspond to one of the more graphic symbol poorojects promoted by Ranran.
I dug up and reused the symbols that were abandoned in another thread.
Applying this to the station, as I showed in my previous experiments, will make it more fruity. But it has to wait for GUI overhaul.

Feedback on this is appreciated. Thank you. (´・ω・`)らんらん♪

EDIT:
- You can see this patch in the factory-gui branch.
- Changed the claimer to be a little gentler by not displaying the out-of-stock warning if there is an in transit
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 06:24:51 AM by Ranran »

Offline Vladki

• Devotee
    • My addons, mostly roadsigns, pak128.cs
  • Languages: EN, CS
Re: Visualized factory storage
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 04:03:30 PM »
A yellow bar shows the amount in transit. I removed its number display once, but do we need it?
There is a limit on in-transit goods (at least in standard), so it should have it's own bar. So every good should have two lines - storage and in-transit.

The frame of the storage bar turns orange red when it is full and yellow when it is empty in the consumer industry.
I think that is not needed.

Otherwise - very nice improvement.

Offline Ranran

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 09:33:57 AM »
From this thread, regarding factory information dialog improvement
I wonder whether it would be better still to show the effects of staff and materials shortages in the "productivity" display?

1. Display of effects of productivity and staffing
Do you have a good idea to work well with "right staffing bar", "job demand" and "staff arrivals"?
It is easier to grasp these information if they are adjacent.
Since the upper part of the dialog is displayed in the traditional notepad style, major improvements take time. It may be easier to wait for the GUI overhaul to be incorporated.

2. Approach to factory utilization/productivity
James proposed a variation in productivity due to material shortage. I'm not sure if implementing this is easy.
It may need to be subdivided, and I haven't yet figured out how well I can respond.

In the secondary industry, the factory will stop when one of the materials is insufficient. Therefore, the utilization rate will be 0.
For primary industry example, orchard will continue to produce cider even if it stops collecting fruits. The operating rate at this time is 50%. Currently, at this time, the status bar turns light blue. In other words, it is possible that one line is stopped but another line is operating.
Is the ratio of actual / theoretical production for the month rather than the short-term span accurate?

Currently, the so-called maximum instantaneous productivity is displayed. I wonder if it's better to break this down.
The problem is that when the factory runs out of stock for a moment or the stock is full, it will be 0.

I think important information is how much the factory can be operated with respect to the theoretical maximum value.
But implementing that (instantaneous) uptime as to whether the factory line is up may be a bit more complicated.

One of the ideas is to figure out the utilization rate of last month from the record of last month.
Last month occupancy rate:120%  (I don't know if this English expression is correct)  :-[
This will be 0 if it wasn't running last month.
I think we can also display the theoretical value based on the elapsed time of the this month and the length of the month.

EDIT:
3. About the factory color status bar
One thing I noticed in a recent discussion about improving the attraction building list.
I used to play around with this and increase the colors  :-[ but now I don't think it's necessary to stick to having only one color status bar.

For example, divide it into three pieces: information about operating status, input storage, output storage.
The main color bar simply indicates unconnected, operating, (operating but some lines are down), not operating.
Other statuses will be easier to understand by changing the style and adding symbols. The staffing bar that already exists is one of them.
Perhaps it should make the factory list easier to read.

EDIT2:
There is a limit on in-transit goods (at least in standard), so it should have it's own bar. So every good should have two lines - storage and in-transit.
Currently, excess stock is not displayed in the bar. Will it be destroyed after it arrives? I think standard was so.
Well consider adding an intransit symbol anyway.

EDIT3:

I'm thinking of displaying the number of in transit with such a symbol. What do you guys think? The design may be very pre-Japanese (´・ω・`)
American design will be long sideways. But pakset authors can also design it to their liking.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:10:35 PM by Ranran »

Offline Milko

• Devotee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »

I'm thinking of displaying the number of in transit with such a symbol. What do you guys think? The design may be very pre-Japanese (´・ω・`)

WOW, very good!!!, I like it,

Offline Ranran

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »
Testing in transit symbol:

I would appreciate if you could give us your feedback on the layout.

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 03:16:24 PM »
I like the symbols: this does make things much clearer. Ideally, one would also have mouseover tooltips, but these are not essential if the work involved would be excessive.

As to the layout, two comments: first of all, the colours would be better if they were slightly less bright and saturated: using the maximum brightness for colours (e.g. 255,0,0 for red) can be jarring; slightly lowering the saturation and brightness gives a more subtle and pleasing effect (see the colours in the depot window, for example, which are slightly more subtle versions of those found in Standard, which use the brightest colours).

As to the layout, as we can see, this does sometimes end up wider than the window. I wonder whether a layout that is not entirely horizontal would be practical, although I cannot immediately think of a workable alternative at present.

This is definitely interesting progress and clarification of the industry GUI, however.

Offline Vladki

• Devotee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 03:22:41 PM »
Why is the steel intransit value red?

I would expect steel storage and plastic intransit numbers to be red or orange to show that the storage is overflowing.
Any value below the maximum (and above zero) is OK so does not need to be highlighted.

Offline Milko

• Devotee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 04:21:24 PM »

Hello

Ideally, one would also have mouseover tooltips, but these are not essential if the work involved would be excessive.
Mouseover tooltip would be very useful, I agree that it should be done if it is not an excessive job.

As to the layout, as we can see, this does sometimes end up wider than the window. I wonder whether a layout that is not entirely horizontal would be practical, although I cannot immediately think of a workable alternative at present.

Divide each single line into two different lines? As in the case of locomotive information.

Giuseppe

Offline Ranran

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 07:05:55 PM »
Ideally, one would also have mouseover tooltips, but these are not essential if the work involved would be excessive.
Mouseover tooltip would be very useful, I agree that it should be done if it is not an excessive job.
The function to place a tooltip on a symbol is included in this patch but that patch is not yet incorporated.

first of all, the colours would be better if they were slightly less bright and saturated: using the maximum brightness for colours (e.g. 255,0,0 for red) can be jarring; slightly lowering the saturation and brightness gives a more subtle and pleasing effect (see the colours in the depot window, for example, which are slightly more subtle versions of those found in Standard, which use the brightest colours).
The reason I chose this color is because it's the same color as "Fully stocked" because of the implications of this.
Brighter color indicators are easier to see. Indeed, it is easier to see the letters in dark colors. But the color looks like brown when darkened with simutrans color.
As mentioned above, it may be better to consider including a review of the existing factory status indicator color.

I would expect steel storage and plastic intransit numbers to be red or orange to show that the storage is overflowing.
No, that means we are currently shipping more than it can store in storage. It will be discarded upon arrival. By default, max transit is set to 110% of storage.
EDIT: May not be discarded. Does anyone know in detail?

Any value below the maximum (and above zero) is OK so does not need to be highlighted.
I don't know if this is true. Can we get a profit from the discarded cargoes?

I wonder whether a layout that is not entirely horizontal would be practica
Divide each single line into two different lines?
Is it possible to move a unit to a tooltip if a symbol has a tooltip available?
Or make a header like goods name (unit) / storage / in transit / consume per month, and delete the unit and "/ month".
The last resort is to add a scrollbar.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:20:08 PM by Ranran »

Offline Vladki

• Devotee
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 07:12:53 PM »
The reason I chose this color is because it's the same color as "Fully stocked" because of the implications of this.

I do not care about the color. I just wonder why an intransit value that is lower than max-intransit is highlighted, while the fact that the storage itself is over the max is not highlighted

Offline Ranran

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 07:30:23 PM »
I just wonder why an intransit value that is lower than max-intransit is highlighted, while the fact that the storage itself is over the max is not highlighted
Storage highlighting said that you don't need it, so I removed it after all. The fact that the storage is full is certainly obvious at the storage bar.
On the other hand, it is not possible to judge from the storage bar whether it is transported beyond the storage capacity.
Should I consider changing the text color of the stock quantity?
I'm not sure if the storage inventory can overflow. As mentioned above, the default setting can transport an amount that exceeds storage by 10%. demo save exceeds max transit and storage capacity in various places. Is this just due to the just_in_time setting?

Offline Vladki

• Devotee
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 07:50:03 PM »
Storage highlighting said that you don't need it, so I removed it after all.
I thought about the frame on the bar... That seemed to be not needed. But a colored numbers for full (and empty) storage would be imho good.
In extended I think the storage can overflow infinitely. In standard owerstock is discarded in JIT=2, but not in JIT=1 or 0. I dont know what different JIT values do in extended.

Offline Ranran

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 12:05:02 PM »
I prototyped two samples.

(1)

(2)

How's these?

In extended I think the storage can overflow infinitely. In standard owerstock is discarded in JIT=2, but not in JIT=1 or 0. I dont know what different JIT values do in extended.
I thought overflowing inventory would be discarded, so I took over-delivery as a problem. If not, the alert is meaningless.
However, it is not realistic to accept meat if there is no room in the refrigerator already. It will be placed outside at room temperature. You will be transporting the pathogens instead of meat. The pandemic begins.

I didn't care about overflows on demo.sve because it was old data and may be only flooded by changes in the internal values of pakset. Such can happen with changes in pakset.
But I think I have to check the JIT specifications...

Offline Ves

• Devotee
  • Languages: EN, SV, DK
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 02:25:03 PM »
Hello,
This really looks amazing Ranran!

A suggestion and a question:

Regarding the name of the string becoming too long, I would suggest to have the unit displayed in the very last entry. In both the latest examples, it looks a bit arbitrary, especially the "t". So I would suggest this layout:
steel *category icon*, 2530/118, *truck icon* 395/1026, 341 t/month
plastic *category icon*, 23/71, *truck icon* 40/10, 42 crates/month

The category icon does not have to be next to the category unit name, since they represent two different kinds of information. The category icon is most of all usefull together with the name of the cargo as that dictates what convoys are needed.

Also for the "cars" entry, it could be nice to have it displayd as:
cars, ..... ..... ..... 168 cars/month
just to make it consistent with the other goods entries.

Secondly, what is the colored square between the storage bar and the cargo name? It looks like it is the color of the good, but I suppose it is not? May I be so bold as to ask wether it is really needed?

Thirdly, It is not obvious to me why some values are highlighted and others are not.? IMO all normal values, which dont need the players attention, should be kept black, and only numbers which will require the attention of the player should be highlighted. The risk of overflowing the capacity (which I have seen happen on the bridgewater brunell server) I think should not be displayed until it is actually overflowed. And then it should not be a negative color like red or orange, but rather a positive one like dark green.

Otherwise, really great job! I think this improves an area that has greatly been in need for a GUI overhaul!  :thumbsup:

Offline Freahk

• Languages: DE, EN
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »
So first, suggestions and thoughts:
As Ves said, the unit should be moved to the end. It looks quite strange to me as-is.
Apart from that, I'd prefer (1) over (2), as imho the cargo class icon belongs to the specific cargo type text.

It is not immediately clear that the first pair of numbers is the stock, although I am not sure if visual clarification is needed here and if so, how to visualise it.

I am also wondering what that square should express.

Anyways, it's great work. It really adds up a lot to usability already.

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 08:40:39 PM »
Thank you to Ves and Freahk for the useful feedback on this splendid work.

One passing thought that I have is that, since goods consumption and production is calibrated on the short time scale rather than the long time scale, I wonder whether it would be clearer to write "per 6:24:00" (or other figure if this be different in game) rather than "per month"? I should be interested in people's views on whether that would be easier, and Ranran's views as to whether this is achievable with a reasonable amount of work.

Offline Ves

• Devotee
  • Languages: EN, SV, DK
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 10:02:11 PM »
Thank you to Ves and Freahk for the useful feedback on this splendid work.

One passing thought that I have is that, since goods consumption and production is calibrated on the short time scale rather than the long time scale, I wonder whether it would be clearer to write "per 6:24:00" (or other figure if this be different in game) rather than "per month"? I should be interested in people's views on whether that would be easier, and Ranran's views as to whether this is achievable with a reasonable amount of work.

I think it is ok to display it per month instead of per 6:20:00. However, if it where to change to something (maybe) more usefull, it could be per hour. I know that some industries produce very few units per MONTH, so it would be a fractal display per hour, but that is already incorporated, thanks to Ranran.
Another way of displaying, is to display time/unit. So instead of a factory producing 30 cars per hour, it produces one car every 00:02:00.