News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Visualized factory storage

Started by Ranran(retired), May 22, 2020, 03:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I have just tried to merge in the latest work from this branch to continue testing (my apologies for the delay), and unfortunately there are significant merge conflicts. I should be very grateful if you could look into these. Thank you in advance.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

I have resolved the conflict. Also added error status if supplier/consumer connection is missing.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

Quote from: Ranran on July 26, 2020, 08:59:57 PM
I have resolved the conflict. Also added error status if supplier/consumer connection is missing.

That is very helpful, thank you. I have been testing this. First of all, and most importantly, this is a very great improvement over the current industry UI: thank you very much for this. This will make it much easier and more pleasant for players to interact with industry. The display looks neater, there is more useful information, which is easier to find, and the symbols and improved colours look good.

One or two small points. Firstly, I am struggling to understand the significance of hlptxt_factory_connected. It does not distinguish whether an industry is connected to a stop and it does not distinguish whether an industry has produced recently, or any combination of the two. Can you assist with what this should be determining?

Secondly, I note that sometimes, industry windows do not always open at the correct vertical size, necessitating vertical scrolling to see the whole window contents (e.g. the paper mill at 154,8 in demo.sve). The current master branch code does seem to open industry windows at the correct height.

In any event, thank you again for your work on this: it is most excellent.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ranran(retired)

QuoteFirstly, I am struggling to understand the significance of hlptxt_factory_connected. It does not distinguish whether an industry is connected to a stop and it does not distinguish whether an industry has produced recently, or any combination of the two. Can you assist with what this should be determining?
I think it's just a modification of the existing display symbols - it used to appear as a brown pile.
I posted it before in this thread because I doubt about its judgment.

Maybe it doesn't give the display the player expects. Players expect their network to determine if a line/convoy with the correct cargo category is operating between two factories. If that is correct, the symbol might be better suited to something like a double-headed arrow or something like this, indicating a connection.
This is done in bool fabrik_t::is_active_lieferziel() in simfab, but I haven't changed it and the behavior is the same as the master branch.
The display code can be found in fabrik_info.cc in L398 and L410.

QuoteSecondly, I note that sometimes, industry windows do not always open at the correct vertical size, necessitating vertical scrolling to see the whole window contents (e.g. the paper mill at 154,8 in demo.sve). The current master branch code does seem to open industry windows at the correct height.
I changed it from the beginning to open it in the right size.

Additional updates:
- The layout of the factory list has been updated. This is intended to make the sorting results more understandable.
- The expression "Occupancy rate" seems to have been translated incorrectly, so I changed it to "operation rate". I think this is an important value, so I've added it to the factory list as well. I think this is the display parameter that James had previously proposed.
I changed this to record it on the chart instead of productivity. This change increases the revision number.

I don't think the factory upgrade is working very well right now. Currently it depends on the factory status, but it is a short term parameter, and the current code is tentative, as we can see in the comments.
// TODO: Use statistics for a longer-term view. The statuses are just a snapshot.
This operation rate shows how well the factory continues to operate.
If, for example, this number stays above 100% in the long run, the factory is considered profitable and there is no reason to shut it down. It shows that there is demand and the industry chain is working properly.
And if an upgrade is possible, it should be done. And it is realistic that the higher this value in the long run, the higher the probability.
Maybe you can make a better upgrade algorithm.

thought for more UI design improvement:
I think the meaning of the status is easier to distinguish from the list and dialog. I think we can simplify the status colors by consolidating them.
For example, color bar for operation rate, error symbol for connection issues. It can be modified later.

Mariculous

In very short, as it's off-topic here:
I agree that industry upgrading feels very strange at the moment.
Well running industries are shut down rather than being upgraded when the time has come.
This really needs some improvement as it's very frustrating and feels extremely unrealistic.

jamespetts

Excellent, thank you for that. I have now incorporated this as this is clearly an improvement over the current system. I have responded regarding the old brown pile symbol in the other thread. For the time being, I have simply renamed the translation text to "Active", but this will need more investigation in the future.

I was hoping to be able to look into the industry issues a little more fully this afternoon, but unfortunately it is too hot to work on Simutrans, so I am going to retreat to my air conditioned shed and work on my model railway instead.

Thank you very much to Ranran for the excellent work on this - this UI work should not only improve players' experience of the game, but also make improving the industry balance in the future easier.

Ranran(retired)

You may have noticed different chart marker types in the acceleration curve chart.
Due to the similar colors used in factory-related chart lines, it was sometimes difficult to distinguish between charts.
As a countermeasure, I separated that function from the obsolete patch and implemented it on the factory chart.

There is also a bug fix in commit number 68bfd3c5fb821abb5f0a425ca98d712cad5bc6b0.

Check the pull request #250.

jamespetts

Thank you very much - now incorporated.