News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[BUG?] "too slow" in stop, no purple pixel on the destinations map

Started by Mariculous, May 22, 2020, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

There might be an issue with private car too slow and public transport too slow recorded data or stop stats.

On stephenson-siemens, we had noticed many stops recording "too slow", whilst we couldn't find any purple but many pink pixels on the destination layer.

The same can be seen on bridgewater. I couldn't find any purple pixel, only pink ones whilst stops report a fair amount of "too slow" pasengers.

jamespetts

I wonder whether this is a matter of colour definition? The code (starting at simworld.cc at line 7041) marks destinations in "light purple" if passengers cannot reach the destination faster by private car than public transport, or "purple" if passengers can reach the destination by private car faster than public transport, but using the private car is still too slow. In either case, "too slow" will be marked on the station graph.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

Well I was wondering this either.
It might also be possible that we never enter line 7050, where we set pixels to be COL_PURPLE.
I'll do some quick observations.

Quote from: jamespetts on May 22, 2020, 04:52:20 PMIn either case, "too slow" will be marked on the station graph.
Oh well, I hadn't expected this tbh.
Thus it might be possible that "too slow" passengers recorded at the stop never actually attempted to use the stop because they always prefer the car anyway?
Doesn't sound meaningful to me in the first place. I'll put some thought on what these stats should record imho.

jamespetts

Quote from: Freahk on May 22, 2020, 05:08:33 PM
Well I was wondering this either.
It might also be possible that we never enter line 7050, where we set pixels to be COL_PURPLE.
I'll do some quick observations.
Oh well, I hadn't expected this tbh.
Thus it might be possible that "too slow" passengers recorded at the stop never actually attempted to use the stop because they always prefer the car anyway?
Doesn't sound meaningful to me in the first place. I'll put some thought on what these stats should record imho.

Passengers who record as "too slow" at a stop will always be passengers who would have travelled if the player transport were faster. Even passengers who are in the always prefer private car category will still use public transport if public transport is within their journey time tolerance and a private car journey is not.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Mariculous

Ah, ok I was not aware of this. I thought they'd simply refuse to travel if they can't use their holy car.
So "always prefer private car" will only make a difference if a passenger can reach a destination but taking the private car is slower?
That makes kind of sense.

jamespetts

Quote from: Freahk on May 22, 2020, 05:30:03 PM
Ah, ok I was not aware of this. I thought they'd simply refuse to travel if they can't use their holy car.
So "always prefer private car" will only make a difference if a passenger can reach a destination but taking the private car is slower?
That makes kind of sense.

Not quite - passengers in the always prefer private car category will always take their private car if there is a private car route to their destination and the journey time for that route is within their journey time tolerance, even if public transport is faster. However, if the private car route is not within their journey time tolerance but public transport is, they will take public transport. All other passengers will take public transport or private car depending on which gets them to their destination more quickly. I hope that this makes sense?

Milko

Hello

Quote from: Freahk on May 22, 2020, 05:08:33 PM

Sometimes I have noticed very dark pixels (almost black). It may be that you never actually enter the line or that the associated color is too dark (it is confused with the colors of the streets).

Giuseppe

Mariculous

I guess that color you refer to is "dark red"
btw. for the "cleanest" view on that layer, I usually uncheck "show contour" and "show buildings" when using destinations layer.
The only thing that can interfere with the displayed data in that case are ways, but without these, well... you had no idea where the color indicated buildings actually are.

jamespetts

Quote from: Freahk on May 22, 2020, 07:03:52 PM
I guess that color you refer to is "dark red"

No, dark red is a different colour again - it is used for "destination unavailable" (e.g. where the destination building is a consumer industry and there are no goods/staff, or this is a commuting trip and the target has no available job slots).

Quotebtw. for the "cleanest" view on that layer, I usually uncheck "show contour" and "show buildings" when using destinations layer.
The only thing that can interfere with the displayed data in that case are ways, but without these, well... you had no idea where the color indicated buildings actually are.

Yes, Ranran's changes here make this display much easier to use.

Mariculous

Quote from: jamespetts on May 22, 2020, 08:03:21 PMNo, dark red is a different colour again
Obviously it's different from purple, but it matches Milkos description of very dark, almost black pixels, so I guess what he refers to is dark red.

Ranran(retired)

Maybe this is...

... dark red I think.

Is it possible that purple is hard to discover unless it is in a certain age?
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

Yes, what Ranran shows is dark red - what colour had people imagined was dark red?

Ranran - I am not sure what you mean by the purple being a certain age here - can you elaborate?

Ranran(retired)

I guessed that the rate at which people use their own cars, and the rate at which they appear due to the difference in speed between automobiles and public transportation, etc., may change over time.
I haven't confirmed purple yet.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)