News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Train not travelling at full speed?

Started by NobelSirWill, May 25, 2020, 06:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NobelSirWill

I have started a game with Pak128.Britain-Ex 1830 and setup a small railway.  But the trains are not travelling at their full speed and cannot work out why?  Fairly new to Simutrans.

Train (LMR "Planet" 2-2-0) goes at 35km/s but its max speed is 59km/s even at current load.  Traveling on 75km/h track in a long straight line.  Am I missing something, do I need to add anything else to let it get to max speed?

Thanks.

freddyhayward

35km/h is the speed for trains moving without clearance from a signal (called 'drive by sight'). Without a signal, the train needs to move slowly to be able to stop for potential obstructions. Signals in simutrans-extended can take a long time to learn, and you don't have as many options in the 1830s. This channel has a few videos that might help: https://www.youtube.com/user/jamespetts2/videos

Milko

Hello

The maximum achievable speed is the minimum value of the maximum speeds of the various objects involved. You must therefore take the minimum value of the speeds of: tracks, locomotives, carriages. To be clear, a very fast locomotive with slow carriages or old tracks will never go at its maximum speed.

Another factor to consider, the weight of the train. If you add too many carriages it will not be able to go at maximum speed, in extended to each added carriage you will be shown the maximum speed that can be reached by the train.

Giuseppe

NobelSirWill

I suspect the problem is signalling as everything else looks ok and I have none setup.  However there is only two available at the moment: End of signalling and One way sign.  I can't get either of these to fix the problem.  Is it just I need to wait for the right sign to appear?

Vladki

There should be the "one train staff cabinet" - train passing a cabinet will take the staff, and reserve the whole track to itself. If you want classic signals, you have to build a signalbox first. Then click on the new signalbox, and the menu will be expanded with more signals.

NobelSirWill

Ah I need a signal box...okay solved it using a one train staff cabinet on the exit to the depot.  (only have a simple single track line at the moment).  Thanks all.