News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Too much workers and visitors on railway stations

Started by Vladki, May 27, 2020, 08:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

Looking at the mini-map of staffing levels I noticed that station platforms attract quite a lot of workers and visitors:

Modern concrete platform: - 12 jobs, 16 visitors, mail demand 4
Modern concrete platform with roof: - 30 jobs, 40 visitors, mail demand 10
Old brick platform (both with or without roof) : - 0 jobs, 0 visitors, 0 mail... that's OK.

It seems to be just a forgotten default given by level=X or something. As in dat files most station buildings and brick platforms have explicitly set population_and_visitor_demand_capacity, mail_demand and class_proportion_jobs; concrete platforms do not have these set. Are there any rules how these should be balanced?

jamespetts

Thank you for spotting that: I had not noticed that these had not been calibrated. I have just pushed a fix for this.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

I'd like to add that staging posts got quite a lot of jobs, whilst normal bus stops in later years don't have any jobs.
Not sure if that's intended or not.

From a German point of view I'd expect the old medium and large platforms to have a few jobs, whilst in modern ages only large platforms and large station buildings should have jobs.
Small modern railway stops don't have any staff at all, small stations often have a baker and a kiosk, but also no service staff on the platforms and the signalbox is also remotely controlled from far away.
Only the largest stations have service staff on the platforms, ticket shelters huge signalboxes, a whole shopping mall and kilometers of catering infrastructure to serve the on board restaurants.
In smaller ones you'll have to buy your ticket at a ticket machine.

This had been different a decade ago, where stations usually had their own signal box in operation, service staff on the platforms and ticket shelters.

jamespetts

I have modified the rail staging post to require no jobs; the road staging post already had none. The new scheme is that basic platforms have no jobs; enhanced platforms (e.g. those with overall roofs or buildings) are defined in the .dat files as having 1 each.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.