The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Maximum in transit can be zero  (Read 1943 times)

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
Re: Maximum in transit can be zero
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »
Excellent - this looks very interesting. I shall look forward to the UI developments.

Offline Vladki

• Devotee
    • My addons, mostly roadsigns, pak128.cs
  • Languages: EN, CS
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2020, 03:41:01 PM »
Correct. They were initially stocked by the company who built them without our help. If they can build such a huge industry without any help, they can also stock it initially.
Or just to make thing simpler - a factory with 0 input stock and 0 items in-transit and 0 orders, will place orders in the amount of its input storage. From then on, it will order only what was consumed.

@James - some time ago you have made a change for mail that it is not counted in big bags, but smaller bundles (IIRC 1 bag = 10 bundles ?), and adjusted all station and vehicle capacites accordingly. I don't know the exact reason behind that, but I suppose that 1 bag of mail was indeed too big, and a smaller unit was neccessary to simulate the flow more accurately. Would't it them be simlar with cargo, where 1 ton is too much for early transport, and using units of 100 kg would allow for better accuracy ?

Offline jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2020, 04:38:26 PM »
Or just to make thing simpler - a factory with 0 input stock and 0 items in-transit and 0 orders, will place orders in the amount of its input storage. From then on, it will order only what was consumed.

@James - some time ago you have made a change for mail that it is not counted in big bags, but smaller bundles (IIRC 1 bag = 10 bundles ?), and adjusted all station and vehicle capacites accordingly. I don't know the exact reason behind that, but I suppose that 1 bag of mail was indeed too big, and a smaller unit was neccessary to simulate the flow more accurately. Would't it them be simlar with cargo, where 1 ton is too much for early transport, and using units of 100 kg would allow for better accuracy ?

I do recall the change from bags of bundles of mail; this was because mail could not realistically be accumulated in units as large as bags within any reasonable time.

For goods, this gets much more complex, as bulk goods have units of tonnes, and, unlike with mail, there is no distinction between types of capacity for goods: one cannot have a goods stop, for example, with capacity for 10t (10 units) of coal or 10t (1,000 units) of piece goods; the capacity would be either 10 units of either coal or piece goods or 1,000 units of either coal or piece goods. This would make any such adjustment much, much more difficult than for mail.

Offline Ranran

• Devotee
  • Languages: ja
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2020, 02:28:16 PM »
As I have observed, max intransit tends to be limited to 1 when trying to transport low demand items nearby.
This is why there are a lot of fish max intransit and few vegetables and fruits on the market. Because fish take longer to carry, they are ordered in larger units. Order nearby vegetables or cattle one by one. I will never order the next product until the factory receive one.
And if it has multiple connections, like a vegetable farm, it's split and it might be worse.

For this reason, I think that vegetable farms, grain farms, saw mills, sheep farms (for livestock) tend to have max in transit limited to 1.
I don't think orchard is likely to fall into this trap because orchard has only one connected though the market has the same demand as vegetable.

As a result of players being forced without knowing to carry one at a time, they may not make a profit by using units that do not make a profit unless they carry two or more, or may wait for an eternal 100% load.

Offline jamespetts

• Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2020, 02:30:43 PM »
Splendid, thank you for this analysis: this is consistent with the system working as designed, but the design not taking adequate account of what would in the real world be minimum order quantities.

Do you still suggest that we wait until your new UI be implemented before investigating further, or are you now content that you have a sufficiently complete description of the issue for the matter to be addressed at this stage?