News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

New Climates

Started by RealAmerican1776, June 27, 2020, 03:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealAmerican1776

Good morning. I was just wondering what it would take to add another climate to the game. For my pak256.america-ex, I want to incorporate the Deep South (Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Northern Florida, South Carolina, Louisiana, and East Texas) to the game. Well the Deep South's climate isn't quite Mediterranean nor is it tropical like South Florida or Hawaii. In fact they call it sub-tropical climate. What would it take to add it to the game?

kierongreen

At the moment there is a hard coded limit of 8 climates - water, ice and 6 additional. This could be extended without too much difficulty but would need a few changes across the code. There's other patches and work that's happened recently in relation to landscapes in Simutrans Standard and it might be worth waiting to see what the end result of those is and whether can be ported across to Extended

RealAmerican1776

Great. Thanks. Do you happen to know where that code is so I can take a look at it?

freddyhayward

Mediterranean, Tropical etc. are just internal names that don't actually appear in-game (edit: in extended, that is). In the actual game, these aren't really "climates" at all but simply describe elevations defined per-map in the settings. These are translated to beach, dune, coastal plains, lowlands, uplands, and mountain peak. These don't really mean anything at all on their own - it is up to the pakset to decide what colours/textures should be used in each, and which industries should be allowed to spawn. I'd say it's more relevant to look at the new regions feature and how it's been used in pak128.britain-ex. It has 6 regions that appear on the same sides on the map every game: Erin (Ireland), Cambria (Wales), Kernow (Cornwall), Caledonia (Scotland), Northumbria (northern England?) and Albion (rest of England). You could have a similar system for America including a Deep South region.

Vladki

As Freddy said, you can rename the climates to whatever you like.

RealAmerican1776

Right, I know how to rename them. I just want to add another or two to the game. I want to keep the names they have now.

kierongreen

As I said there's a fair bit of work going on in Standard just now in relation to climates which might be relevant to Extended also. While it might be relatively easy for someone familiar with the code to alter it, for someone new to that particular piece of code it could take a fair bit of explanation - it's not just as simple as changing a 8 to a 10 or 12 on one line. If you were really wanting to look just search the code for all mentions of climate.

freddyhayward

Looking at the en.tab file for pak128.britain-ex, there seems to be a duplicate "Mediterranean" and "mediterran", which both translate to "Coastal Plains". You could change one of these to "Subtropical" and keep the other.