News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Suggestion: Humber Keel multiple good holds

Started by freddyhayward, June 05, 2020, 03:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddyhayward

I know very little about 18th century shipping, but I doubt that ships could only carry one type of good at a time. In simutrans-extended, it becomes very hard to ship goods cost-effectively when a different ship for each type of good is required. It would therefore be helpful to have multiple smaller holds available in the depot. This change shouldn't require any additions to the code as this feature is already available to larger ships such as brigs.

Ves

One posibility could be that when choosing a passenger humber keel, instead of it allways being a mail hold pared with it, you could choose any cargo hold to go with the passengers (perhaps except live stock animals, though...

Vladki

Mariculous

If Humber Keels could actually carry multiple goods, I'd just do it the same way as done with Brig and East Indiaman, obviously using smaller goods holds or passenger cabins.

Ves

Quote from: Vladki on June 05, 2020, 10:42:51 PM
Why not?

I was thinking that the goods and mails in this situation are placed in an area of the boat where there anyway could not be any passengers, like in the stem or the stern. So I thought that if humans would not fit, then livestock most certainly would not fit.

But that is only this approach. The other proposed, and more modular, approach would of course involve livestock AND passengers on the same ship, if desired.

wlindley

Here is one simple example where the Mail hold could alternately be a small dining room (class=medium, catering level 3), or 10 crates of goods, or 8 crates of foods (on account of the ice).  No new graphics required.  Source .dat and compiled .paks.
Perhaps someone might wish to contact the Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society and ask how prototypical it would have been for a single vessel to carry more than one cargo.  They do have some marvelous modern photos of some of these outfitted as houseboats.  Some of the originals were outfitted with steam or perhaps even diesel engines and served into the 1920s — which could also be a welcome latter-day addition to our paks?

jamespetts

Thank you all for your thoughts in this regard. I think that these were not originally made as multi-hold because these are very small boats and it is somewhat doubtful as to whether these would have carried multiple cargoes.

Does anyone have any research data on this?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.