News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Accounting of Infrastructure

Started by Leartin, June 08, 2020, 05:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leartin

Just something that came to mind, and I wonder what people think:

In order to keep track of infrastructure cost, create an "account heading" (a new type of object) to which you can add any of your stations and your ways. From there, the maintenance of related objects - all buildings and platforms of the stations, all ways, bridges, tunnels, signs and wayobjects - are summed up and you get the monthly costs for all those things.
So if you create a new line "Coal from A to B", you can also create an account heading named "Track A to B" and add all the waytiles and the stations you buildt. Now when you look at the profits for the line, you can compare it with the related infrastructure costs.

I'm not certain how useful such a thing is long-term, when everyhing is more interconnected - though I guess those interested in statistics would always find a way to make it useful to them.

Vladki

I was thinking about that long ago... But in a more automated way. That the infrastructure cost should be divided by the amount of convoys using them and proportionally added to each convoy and line.

Ters

I would like to be able to keep infrastructure cost separate from vehicle costs, so that I can see which is the major problem, if any. However, the exact details is not something I have thought about. Infrastructure cost is really not something I have to think about with pak64. (In fact, I build a lot of roads just to make things look a bit more realistic than what the game generates, and I'm too lazy to switch to the public player to do it.)

Vladki

Separate yes, but a proportion of infrastructure costs related to a particular line would be nice to see in comparison with other costs and revenues