News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

[patch] Warning display of waiting too much for loading

Started by Ranran(retired), July 06, 2020, 11:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

As I pointed out in another thread, factories some time impose very low max transit limits.
The player may set a 100% loading limit that will never be reached and the convoy may wait forever there for loading.
However, the system never report this as an error and the player may be unaware that he is stuck in the trap for a long time.

The UI should be gentle like a British gentleman. I think Professor Layton will say so. I made that patch and went up to level 5. (I heard fanfare and my health became max)

It's kinda stuck, so it's displayed in orange. After waiting for 3 months, the bar color and display will change at the beginning of the month.
If it wait for 4 months, it will annoy you with a well-established message. After that, it spams every month at the beginning of month just like any other stuck.

Also I am confident that these English is bad. Therefore they need to be calibrated.
Vehicle %s wait loading too much!
Waiting too much for loading (%i->%i%%)!

I also recommend shortening it if possible.

github branch is here
https://github.com/Ranran-the-JuicyPork/simutrans-extended/tree/wait-loading-too-much

Hope this patch saves the trapped player. Thank you. (´・ω・`)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

freddyhayward

Maybe just display "Vehicle %s has now been waiting for %i months." after the time has passed. The player can judge themselves whether this is too much.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: freddyhayward on July 07, 2020, 12:05:59 AMMaybe just display "Vehicle %s has now been waiting for %i months." after the time has passed. The player can judge themselves whether this is too much.
This also applies to stuck and waiting clearances, I think they're not doing it now because they can't display the exact month.
The only way to calculate it is to look at convoy's chart history and see that it is not working. But it can only be checked for up to 11 months.
Create a strange break of n months, 11 months or more.
Is it acceptable? What is the English notation?
Maybe it's better to add another convoy status to skip the calculation.

Is there any other reason not to do that with stuck or waiting clearances?

Mariculous

11 months is already a quite long time. I'd not expect any convoy to run that rarely, so it might befine to display the month when possible and otherwise something like "at least n years", which is available as a stat either.

freddyhayward

Past 11 months, it could say "for over a year". If the player still ignores it by then, I don't think they will care whether it's 2 years or 100

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: freddyhayward on July 07, 2020, 01:12:49 PMPast 11 months, it could say "for over a year".
The alert said. "convoy has been waiting for 10 months".
In the next month, the alert says "convoy has been waiting for over a year".
I think this is strange.

freddyhayward

Quote from: Ranran on July 07, 2020, 01:27:11 PM
The alert said. "convoy has been waiting 10 months".
In the next month, the alert says "convoy has been waiting for over a year".
I think this is strange.
Oh, I didn't think of that. That would be confusing.

Mariculous

So add another month to the stat, it shouldn't be too hard.
I had a look at that loadsave code part of this and it's just as simple as adjusting a single constant there.
Might be a little more work elsewhere, I'm not sure about it but shouldn't be too much work.

Alternatively, I don't see what's wrong with showing "over 11 months" in these cases.

Ranran(retired)

QuoteIf the player still ignores it by then, I don't think they will care whether it's 2 years or 100
As you can see, I don't think the month display is so valuable.
I don't think it makes much difference whether convoy waits 4 months or 6 months.
Also, if two convoys are on a line where one is waiting for load forever, the other one may warn first to make the waiting clearance by the forever loading convoy.

But if it's only one convoy, it won't issue a warning and the player may not notice it. The purpose of this patch is to solve that problem. Therefore, I think it is enough to add one or two months to the waiting clearance warning.
I'm not sure if it's okay to put in a process to check how many months they have been waiting for hundreds of loading convoys at the beginning of the month. My point is I don't think it's worth it.

Quote from: Freahk on July 07, 2020, 02:09:14 PMSo add another month to the stat, it shouldn't be too hard.
I had a look at that loadsave code part of this and it's just as simple as adjusting a single constant there.
It involves many changes and increases the amount of data saved. I don't think it's worth doing it as above.

DrSuperGood

I think the grammar is off. Surely it should be...
Vehicle %s has been loading for a long time.
Loading (%i->%i%%) Long Time
Short and concise, especially for the floating text.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: DrSuperGood on July 08, 2020, 07:00:33 AMLoading (%i->%i%%) Long Time
Thank you very much. That's the answer I was looking for. The text displayed in the tooltip is preferably short.

jamespetts

Thank you for this - now incorporated. I should be grateful if you could add the translatable texts to Simutranslator.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

freddyhayward

This caused a bug where convoys waiting for too long would never load at all, even with goods waiting at the same stop. I fixed this in: https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-extended/pull/219
EDIT: attached the reproduction case.

jamespetts

Quote from: freddyhayward on July 24, 2020, 03:45:56 AM
This caused a bug where convoys waiting for too long would never load at all, even with goods waiting at the same stop. I fixed this in: https://github.com/jamespetts/simutrans-extended/pull/219
EDIT: attached the reproduction case.

Splendid, thank you; now incorporated.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

Yes, I neglected to check the behavior of recovering from the error. I'm sorry.(´・ω・`)
Thank you for fixing the bug rather than reporting it.