News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

cattle farm winter image

Started by Vladki, July 13, 2020, 10:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

Hello,

I have noticed that in winter some cattle farm fields appear completely empty. It is quite confusing when you cannot build road over them.
Also some non-snow cattle pastures appear almost empty.

jamespetts

This is intended as the cattle would be clustered together eating hay rather than grazing in the fields, as grass does not grow in winter. Unfortunately, there is no algorithm for fencing only the outside of fields so as to allow the extent of the cattle farm to be represented visually.

Perhaps we need cow pat graphics...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

Perhaps some feeding troughs and the odd shelter or barn?

RealAmerican1776

Could we build fences around the outer fields to let us know that there is a field there? That would of course solve the issue of fencing as well.

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on July 13, 2020, 11:00:52 PMPerhaps we need cow pat graphics...?
Something would be very useful. I found the even the summer image is sometimes empty, and that is very confusing when building roads to the farm. For example - stephenson-siemens (649,709) - (651,707)

EDIT: march turned into april and cows were allowed on the empty fields...

jamespetts

Quote from: TheRoadmaster1996 on July 18, 2020, 02:08:08 AM
Could we build fences around the outer fields to let us know that there is a field there? That would of course solve the issue of fencing as well.

The trouble with this is that we would need new code to demarcate the "outer" fields, and then more new code to have distinct images for "inner" and "outer" fields, and that would be a very major project. If somebody would like to do it, that would be splendid, but it is not a priority at present.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

RealAmerican1776

Oh, in Pak128 German, you have the ability to use walls while the French made fence addons so I was thinking of something along those lines, not specifically code. I agree, I wont attempt it. I need to focus on my Pakset.

jonbridg

One, admittedly crude, solution would be to place a translucent plane over the tile, like a filter, so that the field was always a slightly different colour to the terrain. Otherwise, I like wlindley's idea of placing the odd barn, rusty tractor or other detritus that is common on farms. As it happens, the ground around the winter trough is far too clean, could certainly do with a few cowpats there!

RealAmerican1776

We can add more water troughs, or maybe hay barrels or perhaps a lone cow. In my family we call this cow Steve and he's alone because he's the smelly one and no other cow want's to be around him.

jonbridg

What do people think about this as an alternative to empty winter fields? Snow and no-snow use the same image here, but I could create a specific image for snow with a lighter texture so that it blends in better.

I admit, it's crude, but I'd say it's better than nothing. I'll produce graphics with water troughs/farm clutter as a comparison when I've a moment.

RealAmerican1776

It makes since to change the colors as cows that are not in a particular area  the grass is higher, so we could say that the different colored tile is just higher grass.

Vladki

It is definitely much better. Perhaps just covering the whole tile so that there is no gap between tiles?

jamespetts

This seems to work well and does make sense in that grazed land will tend to have less grass coverage than ungrazed land. Thank you for this.

jonbridg

New render, with no gaps and different texture. If people like this I can push it asap.

Mariculous

Imho the former fits better to the paksets style.

jamespetts

That does look good - that is worth incorporating, I think. Thank you for that.

jonbridg

A compromise then, perhaps. Less blurry than the first image and with a smaller aggregrate than the second.

jamespetts

Even better - the lack of the hard edge of the original does look better. This is good work.

Vladki

Yeah the third variation looks best

Mariculous

jonbridg

Great, I've pushed to this my repository. The pushed version is a fraction darker to make the grass image easier to see.

jamespetts

Quote from: jonbridg on September 04, 2020, 09:45:07 PM
Great, I've pushed to this my repository. The pushed version is a fraction darker to make the grass image easier to see.

Splendid, thank you: now incorporated.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: TheRoadmaster1996 on July 18, 2020, 02:08:08 AMCould we build fences around the outer fields to let us know that there is a field there?
I think it will be possible if we can create multi-tile fields. Make multiple parts and place them. For example, 4x4 ranch(surrounded by fence), 3x3 ranch(surrounded by fence), 1x2 stables, 1x1 huts, vacant lots (appearance), etc.

We need to create the logic to place it properly. I think the 1x1 field is essential to fill the gap.

It will allow to build a more realistic look.

The problem is that players are always looking for opportunities to remove their fields, but the cost of removing a multi-tile field can be high.
It might be better if there is a process that complements other than the clicked tile.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

RealAmerican1776

Well, how do they do cattle ranching in Britain? Here in the States, we have massive ranches spanning hundreds sometimes thousands of acres of land. It is fenced in with barbwire due to law, but what about over there? Is it more closed in or spread out?

jamespetts

I am not sure that multiple tiled fields are a good idea because of the difficulty that Ranran describes with building roads or railway lines through fields. The lack of fencing is a very minor cosmetic issue in the circumstances.

In the UK, cattle fields tend to be smaller than in the US, separated from other fields or roadways either by fences or hedgerows and ditches.

RealAmerican1776

Also, here in America, not every state has cattle ranches, I read that in Texas, there are thousands of herds of cattle in the state. Meanwhile, in my home state of Rhode Island, there is a herd.