News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Unknown Ground Type Error

Started by Andyh, July 18, 2020, 07:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyh

My game crashed with an error referring to Unknown Ground Type.  Some research on this Forum suggested that Extended would crash with this error if the settings were changed in game.  I'm not using Extended but my crash seems to be caused for the same reason.  I was able to reproduce the error as follows: 

- saved a working version of my map
- accessed the Settings screen using the $ key, changed the station coverage to the number I wanted. Game worked fine.
- exited the game
- restarted the game.  Game crashed with the Unknown Ground Type error as it tried to load the last map used.
- restarted the game (it opened in 'startup' mode)
- loaded the previously working version of the map.  Game worked fine.

Is there a fix or a work-around for this problem?  I seem to be able to use my map without problems provided I never touch the Settings screen, but that leaves me with a station coverage much smaller than what I want.

ceeac

I cannot reproduce this with the latest nightly and pak64 r1971. Which Simutrans version and pakset are you using? Can you provide the working save before the crash?

prissi

This error is almost akways an error in the file on the disc. There is very little safeguards against corruption in the compressed data. Even one altered bit is enough the render half of the saved data into nonsense. This happens very rarely, but when there is usually nothing that can be done about it.