News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

64-bit Windows builds are misnamed

Started by Matthew, December 16, 2020, 01:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Steps to reproduce

1. Download Simutrans-Extended-Complete to a Windows system
2. Unpack (in a different directory to any existing Simutrans installation)
3. If you have an existing installation, open the newly-created \simutrans\config\simu.tab and change "singleuser_install = 0" to "= 1"
4. Run Simutrans-Extended-64.exe (you may need to authorize it with Windows Defender). It displays build #9499 in the title-bar. Close this instance of Simutrans.
5. Run Simutrans-Extended.exe. It displays build #c4cd41f in the title-bar.
6. Load a savegame greater than 4GB.
7. The savegame loads and plays correctly.

Expected outcome: Both builds should display the commit hash of the latest B-B build, in this case #c4cd41f. Simutrans-Extended.exe should not run the large savegame, because it should be a 32-bit build.

Probable cause: The 64-bit Windows builds are now being created as Simutrans-Extended.exe and Simutrans-Extended-64.exe is not the latest version (it is probably still #cecd155 from before the Great Merge). I do not understand at all why this is happening though, from my very limited understanding of the Makefile.

If a decision is taken to change the name of the 64-bit Windows executable, then players will need to change batch files & desktop shortcuts and the community will need to update installation instructions (and perhaps Steam scripts?).
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Roboron

jamespetts

Thank you for noting this. I think that I have resolved the issue with the automatic updater by providing an aliased version called Simutrans-Extended-64.exe - I should be grateful if people could confirm whether this works.

To answer Robron's question, Simutrans-Extended.exe is now a 64 bit build.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on December 17, 2020, 10:11:39 PM
Thank you for noting this. I think that I have resolved the issue with the automatic updater by providing an aliased version called Simutrans-Extended-64.exe - I should be grateful if people could confirm whether this works.

As of now (before the nightly of 2020-12-18) the Nightly Updater fails. But maybe I need to wait for the nightly build.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。