The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Stop and station balance issues  (Read 222 times)

Offline freddyhayward

• Devotee
  • Languages: EN
Stop and station balance issues
« on: July 31, 2020, 06:52:26 AM »
I don't have the relevant data to support changes, so I can only point out apparent inconsistencies. I'm sure that there have been planned or proposed changes to them in the past, so perhaps those could be revived.

Figures are from the in-game display, not the .dat files:

* A staging post (including the railway staging post), represented by a wooden pole in the ground, has:
- a passenger capacity of 10
- a maintenance cost of 0.96¢

* A staging inn, represented by a medium-sized building with accommodation for people and horses has:
- a passenger capacity of 40 (4x the above)
- a maintenance cost of 1.12¢ (hardly more than the above)

* A large staging inn, represented by a larger version of the above has:
- a passenger capacity of 120 (3x the above)
- a maintenance cost of 8.00¢ (over 7x the above)

* A basic bus stop, represented by a wooden pole and bench has:
- a passenger capacity of 12 (hardly more than the staging post, over 3x less than the staging inn)
- a maintenance cost of 2.40¢ (2.5x the staging post, over 2x the staging inn)

* A bus stop with a shelter, represented by the above with a basic wooden shelter, has:
- a passenger capacity of 25 (over 2x the above, 2.5x the staging post, over half the staging inn)
- a maintenance cost of 13.44¢ (5.6x the above, 14x the staging post, 12x the staging inn)

* A wooden platform, represented by a raised platform with signage and two benches has:
- a passenger capacity of 0 (10 less than the railway staging post, 12 less than the basic bus stop)
- a maintenance cost of 9.92¢ (10x the railway staging post, over 4x the basic bus stop)

* A wooden station building, represented by a small building with modest facilities has:
- a passenger capacity of 50 (1.25x the staging inn)
- a maintenance cost of 27.36¢ (nearly 25x the staging inn)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:24:52 AM by freddyhayward »

Offline Freahk

• Devotee
  • Languages: DE, EN
Re: Stop and station balance issues
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 08:54:04 AM »
I agree, from a gameplay standpoint this is very strange and inconsistent, causing the anomaly that players usually won't want to upgrade their staging posts.

About capacities, I am quite sure it is bases on some ingame considerations rather that real-world data.
About costs, I have no idea about their relation, as I do not have any data about staging posts, but I remember some data about modern railway stations and bust stops. I'd have to search for this in the web again to say anything definite about this, but the cost was quite a bit.

I can imagine simply putting a wooden pole does not come with much expenses in both cases.

However, the capacity of a platform with a bench should definitely be more than 0.
The implication that comes with it is "nobody can wait at that platform, so those benches are not allowed to use and passengers cannot stand there", whilst they can stand at the staging post.

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:31:27 AM »
This is a byproduct of the costs not being balanced yet - ultimately, we will need proper, data-based balancing of all stop types, but all the balancing enabling works and balance critical features will need to be completed first.

Offline freddyhayward

• Devotee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:40:10 AM »
This is a byproduct of the costs not being balanced yet - ultimately, we will need proper, data-based balancing of all stop types, but all the balancing enabling works and balance critical features will need to be completed first.
Given that we don't know how long these will take, would it not be far better make interim changes to make it somewhat more reasonable and consistent?

Offline Freahk

• Devotee
  • Languages: DE, EN
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »
I agree with freddy.
As stations are not balanced yet and a real-world balancing does not make much sense without the related, yet unimplemented features, we should go for an interims balancing that encourages players to upgrade their stations and bus stops.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:44:50 PM by Freahk »

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 10:52:47 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to set out an interim balancing for the stops for internal consistency?