News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Oak trees look like Beeches

Started by RealAmerican1776, August 09, 2020, 02:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealAmerican1776

Hello, I was doing reasurch into American trees for my Pak256 America, and I noticed that the Oak trees provided in Britain github looks more like Beeches. I dont know about Oaks over there across the Pond, but here in the States, our Oaks are more rounded rather then pointy like the one provaided. The one provided looks more like a beech with its pointiness. All I did for my Pak256 America was give the tree a haircut and round it

RealAmerican1776

Sorry, what I really should say is that the oak trees provided are too pointy as oaks are generally rounded at the top.

Spenk009

You're right about the shape being wrong. They should be rounder (and there should be more versions of them too).

From what I understand from the license files in the Blends repo, the trees are models taken from other sources. They were imported into the modeling space without editing the meshes. Do you think scaling the entire tree slightly and cutting off different amounts of the top off would produce a better variety? I'm thinking of the different looks that image compression could produce.

jamespetts

Quote from: Spenk009 on August 14, 2020, 08:48:21 PM
You're right about the shape being wrong. They should be rounder (and there should be more versions of them too).

From what I understand from the license files in the Blends repo, the trees are models taken from other sources. They were imported into the modeling space without editing the meshes. Do you think scaling the entire tree slightly and cutting off different amounts of the top off would produce a better variety? I'm thinking of the different looks that image compression could produce.

I am not sure about the oak - that was one of the originals. I think that The Hood or Keiron Green made this one. I added the beech and pine a few years ago to add variety - those were based on other files, unmodified. Any modification to the trees will need to be made to the .blend files and the trees re-rendered, or else the results will be of poor quality. Modifying the trees is quite a complex task, so this will not be easy.

In any event, oak trees, especially relatively young trees, are often slightly pointed on top:

Sunlight Piercing an Oak Tree by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

My Favourite Oak Tree by David M, on Flickr
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

RealAmerican1776

Quote from: jamespetts on August 14, 2020, 09:37:04 PMModifying the trees is quite a complex task, so this will not be easy.
Right, that's why I just did it by hand on the image file. I just gave the tree a hair cut and rounded it.

RealAmerican1776

Here is the Charter Oak, a famous oak tree in Connecticut depicted on the state's state coin