News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Vision Query of Top Icons

Started by ChristineR, August 10, 2020, 12:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristineR

Guys, may i ask how hard would it be to have other than black lettering on a dark blue icon to something I can actually see?
Also may I suggest Yellow or White? and how about a example city tutorial of how to actually start the game?

Not all of us are in our younger years and can see a ant on a Pepsi at 20 yards anymore.

Mariculous

I don't understand the request.
Where are these black letters on dark blue icons you refer to?

Matthew

Hi Christine,

Welcome to the International Simutrans Forum! It's great to have you join us.

Quote from: ChristineR on August 10, 2020, 12:30:52 PM
Guys, may i ask how hard would it be to have other than black lettering on a dark blue icon to something I can actually see?
Also may I suggest Yellow or White?

Simutrans graphics work a bit differently from most other games. There are many different sets of graphics (called paksets) and you can choose the one you like. It sounds like you are using a pakset that does not work well for you, but there's probably another one that does. Do you know which pakset you are using? There is a list of paksets here that you can use to find your current one and maybe one that you like better.

Quoteand how about a example city tutorial of how to actually start the game?

This is a fair complaint. Simutrans is not an easy game to learn. One of our volunteers, Yona, has been working on a tutorial for several years, but it is not finished yet.

The best way is probably to watch a video. I will try and find a good one for you; check here later.

If you want help at the same time as you play the game, then you could try joining our Discord server, where it is easy to send quick messages.

QuoteNot all of us are in our younger years and can see a ant on a Pepsi at 20 yards anymore.

Actually, Simutrans has a very wide age range, so this is something that we should maybe do better at....
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Ters

Quote from: ChristineR on August 10, 2020, 12:30:52 PMNot all of us are in our younger years and can see a ant on a Pepsi at 20 yards anymore.
Simutrans has been around for about twenty years, so the senior developers are not as young anymore either. However, that things are small in Simutrans in mostly an external change beyond our control. The pixels on modern computer monitors have gotten much smaller since Simutrans was originally made. Since computer graphics traditionally is made up of pixels, this made all the graphics smaller as well. Old programs, and games in particular, must therefore be scaled up somehow. We had to disable the functionality built into Windows due to some quirk that made mouse input work badly, but the latest versions of Simutrans now has some functionality to scale it up by 200%, as well as other ways of customizing the look of Simutrans. However Simutrans is a hobby project for not that many, who also have other responsibilities, so things take time.

(I just realized that the old classic games from the early 1990s, which are less than 50% older than Simutrans, would be about the size of two postage stamps on a modern monitor. Back then, they filled a 14 inch monitor. Rather large stamps, but that was the closest thing I could thing of.)

prissi

Please use a larger font (I use 19 pt) and use the large theme in the GUI slection dialoge.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: Matthew on August 11, 2020, 04:21:58 PMThis is a fair complaint. Simutrans is not an easy game to learn. One of our volunteers, Yona, has been working on a tutorial for several years, but it is not finished yet.
Regarding the pak64 tutorial, it is mature enough to be integrated into pak64.

I think we just need more translations and polishing some details but I need some feedback for this. ;)

We have several gui themes available, including a dark one with high contrast.  8)

ChristineR

Thank you all! Since posting this I found Version 121.0 and it has addressed most issues. It is an addicting game,