News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

North American Rail Vehicles

Started by Andyh, August 19, 2020, 04:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andyh

Owing to the dearth of North American rail vehicles in pak128 I have built several diesel locos and freight cars in Blender.  Primarily a personal project; the models and liveries are closely based on actual equipment, but with names that reflect fictitious railroads for a North American style map I'm building.  I'm attaching a sample of the pak files here.  If there's any interest in using these I can post more.  But I get it if the models are too crude or idiosyncratic.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm commenting here so I can find this later. I'm always interested in more US stuff, for sure. :)

Andyh

I have now expanded my range of North American railroad vehicles considerably and also reworked some of the earlier models to improve positioning, spacing and in some cases payload and other parameters.

Here is everything I've made so far.  The diesel locomotives are nearly all from the early-mid roadswitcher era (essentially 1950's and 60's) (also one pre-war NW2).  The freight cars are a variety of types from around 1900 onwards.  Because of the sheer variety of vehicles in service on North American railroads I make no claim as to comprehensiveness yet regarding each era, but there is a decent range of vehicle types that will handle most Simutrans commodities.  I will try to fill in with additional cars and loco liveries as and when I have time.  I also hope to have a go at some North American steam locos and/or NG.

In order to help ensure that your railroad complies with US and Canadian federal safety laws through the early 1980's, I have coded the freight cars in a way that requires a train to have a caboose (a caboose is included in the attachments).  I have also included a small red and yellow "end of train device" which appears in 1985 and can take the place of a caboose in convoys after that date.   

Please let me know if you've any questions or suggestions.