News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Cities fail to find private car routes

Started by freddyhayward, September 22, 2020, 03:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddyhayward

Reproduction case:
1. Open the attached save.
2. Set max_route_tiles_to_process_in_a_step to any value between 0 and 65535 as it has no effect.
3. Fast-forward the save any amount of time.
4. Observe that no private car route between the two cities has been established, despite there being a direct road connection.

jamespetts

I have just looked into this: that is because the townhall roads are not actually in the towns because the towns have no buildings and thus the town boundary is just the townhall itself.

For such a marginal situation as this, the amount of time that would be involved in devising a fix is not feasible at the present. In the future, when town growth is reworked, it might well be that this is able to eliminate the situation where a townhall road can be outside the town.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

freddyhayward

Quote from: jamespetts on September 26, 2020, 10:53:31 PM
I have just looked into this: that is because the townhall roads are not actually in the towns because the towns have no buildings and thus the town boundary is just the townhall itself.

For such a marginal situation as this, the amount of time that would be involved in devising a fix is not feasible at the present. In the future, when town growth is reworked, it might well be that this is able to eliminate the situation where a townhall road can be outside the town.
In my testing, expanding both towns so that their townhall roads are within their boundaries causes a route for only one city to be created.

jamespetts

Quote from: freddyhayward on September 27, 2020, 12:06:36 AM
In my testing, expanding both towns so that their townhall roads are within their boundaries causes a route for only one city to be created.

Can you upload the saved game in which you can reliably reproduce this so that I have a proper control with the exact parameters in which you have observed this?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

freddyhayward

In this save, private car routes were found to public buildings, but not between cities.

Ranran(retired)

Debug builds allow you to see which city or attraction the road has a route to.
But as reported in another thread, the dialog does not allow you to see all of the large amount of information.
Also, there seems to be a lot of information that can still be added. (For example, it is not possible to determine in which city multiple parks are located.)
Improving that dialog will make it easier to understand what is happening.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

Freddy - thank you for that reproduction case: that is very helpful. I think that I have now found and fixed this. It was caused when city destinations shared a tile with attraction or industry destinations.

I should be grateful if you could re-test with the next nightly build.

freddyhayward

Quote from: jamespetts on September 27, 2020, 11:11:39 AM
Freddy - thank you for that reproduction case: that is very helpful. I think that I have now found and fixed this. It was caused when city destinations shared a tile with attraction or industry destinations.

I should be grateful if you could re-test with the next nightly build.
There is a formatting error related to trailing whitespace causing the CI to fail. Aside from that, the issue appears to have been fixed.