News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Proposal to make removing signals partially or fully refund the cost

Started by freddyhayward, October 03, 2020, 01:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddyhayward

I don't know how realistic this is. I'm sure there are a multitude of hidden costs associated with removing signals in the real world. This proposal aims to make the game less frustrating, especially for new players.

The signalling system is very hard to understand and players will frequently make mistakes. Say a player accidentally places a signal one tile too far north. This has already cost them (for example) 2500¢. If the player wishes to move the signal one tile south, the total cost expands to 7500¢ (2500¢ to remove the signal and 2500¢ to place the new one). The player then realises they have made another mistake - they have accidentally placed a permissive block signal, when they intended to place a regular stop signal. Their total cost expands to 12500¢.

jamespetts

The only sensible way of doing this would be to refund only newly placed signals, which would act as an undo feature. This would require adding data to all signals about when they were built, however.

It would unbalance the game to allow players to remove any and all signals for a negative cost: in reality, installing the signal is likely to be a far more significant element of cost than the signal's parts themselves.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

freddyhayward

Quote from: jamespetts on October 03, 2020, 01:12:26 PM
The only sensible way of doing this would be to refund only newly placed signals, which would act as an undo feature. This would require adding data to all signals about when they were built, however.

It would unbalance the game to allow players to remove any and all signals for a negative cost: in reality, installing the signal is likely to be a far more significant element of cost than the signal's parts themselves.
The refund could still be partial, say half, or a tenth of the original cost.

jamespetts

Quote from: freddyhayward on October 03, 2020, 01:37:45 PM
The refund could still be partial, say half, or a tenth of the original cost.

It would probably be better to have a full refund for newly placed signals (e.g. placed within the current game month) to act as a full undo feature if one is going to do this at all.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

freddyhayward

Quote from: jamespetts on October 03, 2020, 01:40:04 PM
It would probably be better to have a full refund for newly placed signals (e.g. placed within the current game month) to act as a full undo feature if one is going to do this at all.
I don't think think a full undo is necessary. In fact, there needn't be a negative cost refund at all - the removal cost could instead be reduced to some fraction (say, 10%) or the installation cost.

Ranran(retired)

I think the refund amount can be referred to retire_date.
Anything past retire_date is no longer worth it.
If the Semaphore signal is removed in modern times, the removed semaphore signal will be disposed of. It is now just an antique and will never be reused. There is no refund for removal.
Signals that have not yet reached retire_date can be reused. Re-installing signal is consistent, given that even roads/railroads will be refunded for a fixed amount.
I think that it is the same as the road whether or not to collect the cost of installation. It seems that it has been collected a little.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Mariculous

Old signals still have a significant scrap value.
I don't know if that exceeds the dismounting costs or not.