News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Question(s) regarding the rules

Started by Duke, October 06, 2020, 02:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke

Hello, I have a question regarding one of the translating rules defined here.

How strict is the first rule as applied to pak192.comic and pak128.german? Would it be inappropriate to change some of the current English translations to better match other English translations that others and myself have made in order to maintain consistency?

I understand that it would be important to always keep the jokes and interesting details which were already supplied/translated. I'm mainly concerned with titles.

For example, there is a building in pak192.comic (res_park_cl5_E0_03_15) with the name "Glass House" that I would like to change to "Jungle biome" to match the translations I have already made for similar buildings.

Also, what about small alterations to the style of translation such as (for example) changing one of the vehicle names "Bi-articulated Bus Ikarus 293 | Back" into "Bi-articulated Bus Ikarus 293 (back)"?

makie

Let's look at it from the player's point of view. The first time he will accidentally click on a normal building. If he then only gets a simple name like "Jungle biome" or "apartment house", he will not find any sense in clicking on other houses. If, on the other hand, he finds a funny or informative story, then he might also look at the other houses. If you rename "Glass House" to "Jungle biome" then the story "Rock throwing prohibited." works no more. Then you would have to come up with something new. Maybe something about monkeys. If the houses are only given simple and obvious names, it is rather boring, not worth clicking on it.

Duke

I understand. Every building should have a funny or interesting story, but for now, if it's ok, I will focus on names since there are hundreds of objects that need one. If I'm allowed to change "Glass House" I will also come up with another story for it since that object already had a story.

makie

Every normal house that has no translation receives the standard translation for its type from the program. "Res_park_cl5_E0_03_15" is not displayed. It get "Residential houses"

prissi

That is why the rule state not "#Soap factory" but add a story. For the same reason I tend to delete translations that just write "Two story residencial block" because well, everyones sees this.

Flemmbrav

Usually it's best to have a formal description of the object first.
That's also why all the trains have these long names. That way you can just sort the depot by name and have related vehicles next to each other.
I'd love to see that for buildings too.
But I'm not sure how much effort and thoughts have been put in the naming of buildings so far.

Quote from: Duke on October 06, 2020, 02:08:03 AMAlso, what about small alterations to the style of translation such as (for example) changing one of the vehicle names "Bi-articulated Bus Ikarus 293 | Back" into "Bi-articulated Bus Ikarus 293 (back)"?

On that... I don't know. I want that to be consistent for each langauge, and I personally really could care less if it's "()" or "|".

btw do you have proper access to the translator by now?

EDIT:
I've been avoiding naming things by region (as in "swiss" or "rhine") as well as trying to avoid names of manufacturers. Not sure if this should apply to the Ikarus. Maybe it'd be good to use it as "Bi-articulated Bus "Ikarus 293" (back)"?

Duke

For now on I'll add a story to each building I name. I've already named a lot of buildings in pak192.comic but I'll try to edit them with stories, too, and maybe come up with more creative names, but that will take awhile.

I can also go through all the vehicles and make sure the names and style of the translation are consistent. I think I'll do that next for pak192.comic.

Quote from: Flemmbrav on October 06, 2020, 04:39:45 PMThat's also why all the trains have these long names. That way you can just sort the depot by name and have related vehicles next to each other.
I'd love to see that for buildings too.

Do you have a preference in how you would like the buildings named?

Quote from: Flemmbrav on October 06, 2020, 04:39:45 PMbtw do you have proper access to the translator by now?
Yes, makie created an account for me (thank you very much by the way) and everything seems to be working well so far.

Quote from: Flemmbrav on October 06, 2020, 04:39:45 PMI've been avoiding naming things by region (as in "swiss" or "rhine") as well as trying to avoid names of manufacturers. Not sure if this should apply to the Ikarus. Maybe it'd be good to use it as "Bi-articulated Bus "Ikarus 293" (back)"?

My personal preference would be to keep the manufacture names as it makes the vehicles more interesting, but I'll do whichever the pak creators would like. :)