News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Military Locomotives

Started by RealAmerican1776, October 19, 2020, 03:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealAmerican1776

Hello, I know going through the forum, many have advocated against having the military in Simutrans. Well what about military owned locomotives? For example, I currently have a Baldwin S-12 switcher in United States Navy livery and planning on adding the Air Force and U.S. Army liveries as well later on, would something like that be acceptable?

Here's the locomotive in real life in Navy livery:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/0KapFFujDXH-dbsyJu-1g5lV-9JJEHIQzxVbc5NXdiY1cSCgO9YMdkzT14konJGZnogy-o--MYX8qNMYLXgOffUIdgQocxbIpk6bfP1Wc4yOtwoD42vLmxUIM-4GXoG6Tg

Matthew

In pak128.Britain-Ex, James Petts wisely sidestepped the issue by referring to wartime locomotives and rolling stock as having "Austerity" liveries.

So maybe you could draw the liveries, but refer to them as "Government" liveries and avoid using military words?

By the way, Google refuses to let me use that link; I think it's locked to your Google account.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

RealAmerican1776

Huh, I got an error opening it as well. I was thinking last night that I can live without with the Army and Air Force but the Navy yes. I want to have shipyards in my pakset and maybe in one town it's a Naval Shipyard. So, players can use the Navy switcher to move stuff from the yard in town to the shipyard. For the government. I have government locomotives in the form of the United States Railroad Administration, which was the nationalized railroad during World War One.

Flemmbrav

Pak192.comic features military locomotives too.
As long as they don't carry weapons, I don't see an issue with it.

Vladki

I think that if that locomotive type could have been used for non-military uses, then it is ok. And an extra livery is always good for multiplayer.
What I would consider not suitable is armoured train used in combat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_train

RealAmerican1776

Well and the armored train would have no function in Simutrans. Like I said, I want to use the Navy switchers on some shipyards. That's all. And multiplayer... I never thought about that, how would I be able to add multiplayer to the game? Because I have a bunch of liveries including Boston and Maine's Blue Livery and I am going to add it's Maroon w/ Gold Stripes livery for the EMD FT from 1939. I also have Vermont Railway, Massachusetts Bay Transport Authority, New Jersey Transit, Southern Railway, and other railroads plus Army and Air Force.

Vladki

Multiplayer is already included. You can play over network with other people. Even if you play alone, you can switch to different companies. A nice example is the demo game of pak128.britain. So you can have a separate company for trains/buses/airplanes, or for different regions, branch lines, etc.   In that case it is useful to have some visual difference between vehicles of different companies, and for that the liveries are a good tool. Another is to use special "player" colors on vehicles: https://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/en_SpecialColors#Player_s_colors.   But the special colors do not work very well with rendering. Some postprocessing would be needed.

RealAmerican1776

Do you recommend any good post processing tools?

Vladki

https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/topic,9500.0.html

These are scripts (addons, whatever) for gimp, that help working with special colors.

RealAmerican1776

Thank you. One more question, will gimp keep the transparent background? When I work with models on the regular paint software, it removes the transparency creating a white square when placed in the game and it looks bad.

Vladki

Yes gimp works well with transparency.

RealAmerican1776

Alright, I'll check it out. Thank you for your help. I'm about half way done with the first American themed pakset in Simutrans so this will help.