News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Regions: Gallia

Started by Mariculous, October 21, 2020, 04:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariculous

On Bridgewater, Gallia has evolved into a common term for the Southeast area around Pondton.
It started around 1800, when Freddy constructed the first tunnel under the ocean connecting the Island of Pondton to the continent on the West.
I then started to rename stops and stations in pondton to French names.

Due to the historical relevance of cross-channel connections to the British transport history, I'd like to ask for Gallia being an actual region in the Southeast of the map, for example from x=7250, y=2140 to the Southeast border of the map.

RealAmerican1776

I'm not playing online but I'll vote yea. Of course I'm think Gallia is Gaul which is France right? Then we might need some French houses or maybe a locomotive or two.

Mariculous

Indeed, Gallia seems to be the latin name of an area which nowdays more-or-less equals to France, just like Albion is the latin name of Britain and Cambria is the latin name of Wales.
Well I'm not sure about this, I didn't learn latin. I just looked it up and that's what came out.

A few French buildings and rolling stock would indeed be nice, but for now, simply adding a region with related city and stop names should be fine.

Vladki

RealAmerican1776

I'm sure there are freight trains that cross the channel as well. With Britain out of the EU, I wonder how these services are going to be affected...

P.S. Even though I am from the United States, good for you guys for leaving. Honestly Britain is completely different from Mainland Europe. You use MPH not KPH, you have your own weights and other things along the line that the mainland does not use.

Matthew

I completely support Freahk's suggestion of renaming the tiles around Pondton in the map into the region of Gallia. The only actual effect will be to change the label on the ground info windows. That might encourage people to use French names in that area, which makes the Bridgewater-Brunel map more consistent. "Marchons, marchons!"

I would just want to add a note for any future regional changes though. Please explicitly consider single players.* Even if people have an add-on simuconf.tab, it appears that new regions will appear in existing save games if they update the pakset's official simuconf.tab. For example, the southeast corner of Albion is an obvious place for a single player to put 'London'. It would be infuriating if 'London' suddenly & randomly started sprouting patisseries everywhere in 1895.**

* Roberon's very helpful Steam statistics suggest that there are hundreds of people playing Standard who never appear on these forums (and given the language patterns, probably not on the German or Japanese forums either). And some of the B-B players rarely comment (though I suspect that they lurk - hi guys!). Obviously Extended has far fewer users, but it's plausible that most Extended players don't check here unless things go wrong.

** If London starts sprouting patisseries everywhere in 1995, that would probably be realistic.  ;D
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Mariculous

That's indeed true.
Imho, Regions should be shipped on their own and appearance of industries schould be coded in there, instead of semi hardcoded in the dats.

On map creation, users might then choose a regions file just like they can choose a heightmap.
That's a different topic though.