News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Extended development board is chaos

Started by Ranran(retired), October 26, 2020, 08:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

I think the Extended boards should be categorized with reference to standard.
Because I think I have to create a lot of threads for incorporating from the standard from now on. (´・ω・`)

The authors of pakset and addon must know exactly what has been updated and respond accordingly.
They don't need any discussion, they may just want to know the fact that there ware some updates. menucof, themes, simuconf Maybe there will be a lot of changes.
makeobj (ie some dat descriptions) will also be changed.
Of course, we also need to change the translation and help text. Updates to the standard will also need to be imported from the standard. (simutranslator)
It's easier to find if their content is in separate threads than in one thread.
(Maybe I have to elaborate as much as possible, so it would be helpful if someone could put together an update more concisely. And I'm not an English speaker.)

For example:
(1) Bug reports - Someone can help with a simple bug. We may help you to report the bug in detail and make a reproduction example. Being categorized makes it easier to dig them up. There are a number of forgotten and buried bugs, some of which may have been resolved for some reason.
(2) Patches & Projects - Posting a patch, ongoing projects and patches
(2-child) Incorporated Patches - Instead of the standard "Incorporated Patches and Solved Bug Reports", this distinction will make it easier to point out problems with past patches, submit suggestions for improvement, and find the cause of the bug.
(3) Extension Requests - If there is no one to code, I think it is still in the request state. But anyone interested can help with it.
(3-child) Denied Requests & Patches - Sadly obviously it would be better to be moved here if there was a good reason to be rejected that it does not fit extended.
(4) General topic. Balance problems, etc. - I wonder if this break is needed. Extended discussion board may be sufficient.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

I have to say, there is much to be said for this proposal. When the Simutrans-Extended (then Simutrans-Experimental) subforums were created, this was a new fork of Standard. It has grown somewhat in that time, and, especially in recent years, the number of contributors has grown, meaning that more efficient co-ordination is likely to be required.

Thus, I support this idea. I will move this thread to the section of the forum dealing with the forum itself, as this is probably the best place to put it. This will have to be approved by the forum administrators in order to be implemented.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Mariculous

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Okay, the current setup is as follows:

- Simutrans Extended Discussion
- Simutrans Extended Development
- - Simutrans Extended Solved Bug Reports
- Simutrans Extended Paksets
- - [various pakset boards]

The proposal, as I understand it, although with slight modifications made by me that seem logical, but can obviously be discussed:

- Simutrans Extended Discussion
- Simutrans Extended Bug Reports
- Simutrans Extended Patches and Projects
- - Simutrans Extended Incorporated Patches
- - Simutrans Extended Denied Patches
- Simutrans Extended Extension Requests
- - Simutrans Extended Incorporated Extension Requests
- - Simutrans Extended Denied Extension Requests
- Simutrans Extended Paksets
- - [various pakset boards]

I think it makes sense to have the extra boards I added as it becomes a workflow. Anyone can create a topic - bug report, extension request. If people work on them, they are active discussions. If solved or approved, moved to the appropriate child; or denied, move to appropriate child board.

I haven't added the "General discussion" board because the first board is already that. However, this is not about me, but about what you guys want set up and what's useful to the Extended subcommunity.

There also might be room for a Simutrans Extended Offtopic Discussion because while you guys are part of the Simutrans community, I know there are some who only hang out there, so that also makes sense to me - if it's wanted.

I won't create all this until a little more discussion happens, though. :)

jamespetts

This proposal seems sensible to me - does anyone else have any comments on Isaac's proposed structure?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Mariculous

Why do you suggest

For legacy reasons?
I cannot think of any topic that does not fit into Bug Reports, Patches and Projects or Extension Requests, but does fit into Extended Developement.

Not sure about "Simutrans Extended Incorporated Extension Requests", as any request that is about to be implemented automatically becomes a project, which will turn into an incorporated project once finished.

The remaining proposal seems sensible. I agree with it.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Freahk on October 31, 2020, 06:09:13 PMWhy do you suggest

Error on my part. After typing the existing structure, I copied/pasted and extended¹ the structure and failed to remove that entry. Updated the post.

¹ pun intended

jamespetts

I wonder whether, instead of "extension requests", the section might instead be called "future feature discussion"? This would enable the subforum also to be used for developers to discuss possible future features, and may also discourage excessive wishlisting.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Oh yeah? Well who are YOU to make such a suggestion?

.....Oh, that's who you are.

:)

Sorry, I can't resist being silly. But that sounds like a workable idea to me. And kinda makes sense - they are extension requests in Standard, but.... they really are more like feature requests for Extended. I like it.

jamespetts

Since we have not had further responses to this for some weeks now, and since the overall view of this has been positive, I wonder whether it is now time to move towards implementation of this?

jamespetts

I have noticed that I appear to be an administrator. I wonder whether that means that I can make these changes myself? If so, I am not entirely sure how to go about doing that.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: jamespetts on November 22, 2020, 12:51:39 PMI have noticed that I appear to be an administrator.

Yay!

Quote from: jamespetts on November 22, 2020, 12:51:39 PMI wonder whether that means that I can make these changes myself?

Yes, indeed. Giving you that ability was part of the reason for the upgrade :) As the force behind a major part of the Simutrans community, it made sense to have you as an admin :)

Quote from: jamespetts on November 22, 2020, 12:51:39 PMIf so, I am not entirely sure how to go about doing that.

I just got back into the forum today, sorry for the delay.

It's in the forum admin that you now have access to. If you've already looked at that, or you look at that after this reply and still aren't sure, please poke me and I'll be glad to handle it, no worries. :)