News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Simutrans Steam Screenshot Contest

Started by Roboron, November 01, 2020, 06:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roboron

Hello, everyone! I, Roboron, have the great pleasure of opening the first Simutrans Steam Screenshot Contest (or, as I like to call it, "SSSC"). This is also the first contest the Simutrans Community has started in over 4 years, so we are very excited! And we have a good reason. The prize for the winners is... to be displayed on the Steam Store Page!

Participation
1 - There's a category for every pakset (including workshop paksets and the yet unavailable pak128.cs).
2 - You can submit as many screenshots as you want.
3 - You only need to submit your screenshots as replies on this thread.
4 - You need to include title and category (pakset) for every screenshot. Screenshots without title or category will not be eligible.
5 - You have until December 21st to submit your screenshots!

Theme and guidelines
1 - The theme is... Transport structures! (Unoriginal, you say?). Let's show new players what is possible to build with Simutrans. A great train station? Perfect! An amazing road network! Sweet! An underground complex? Wow! A country road with nothing more than grass? Not so impressive...
2 - To keep screenshots clean, try to disable city/station names and avoid showing title bars, overcrowded menus, etc.
3 - While I won't impose any limits to screenshot size, recommended size is 1920x1080 as this is the most common resolution.

Prizes
1 - For the first winner of each category: The screenshot will be displayed on the main Simutrans Store Page, alongside the winners of all categories.
2 - For the second winner of each category: The screenshot will be used as the header for the pakset DLC.
3 - For the third winner of each category: The screenshot will be used as the background of the pakset store page.
4 - For winners 1-10 of each category: The screenshot will be displayed on the pakset store page (or workshop) page.

Voting
Voting will be done on a wiki survey (I will post a new announcement when the time comes). Everyone (participants and non-participants) can vote, but you can only vote one time per category.
If two or more screenshots have the same votes, our benevolent dictator will benevolently select a winner, taking into account theme and guidelines.

Participation via other platforms
You can also participate through the following platforms (don't forget to include title and category):

• Reddit: Submitting your screenshots to /r/simutrans/
  • Twitter: Using the hastag #SimutransSteamScreenshot
  • Steam: submitting your screenshots to the "Screenshots" section of the community Hub
Participations

Pak128
1 - Lieven, City of Brussels 1
2 - Lieven, City of Brussels 2
3 - Lieven, City of Brussels 3
4 - Lieven, Countryside of France
5 - Lieven, Railway Spaghettis 1
6 - Lieven, Railway Spaghettis 2
7 - Lieven, Road spaghettis 1
8 - Lieven, Road spaghettis 2
9 - Lieven, Zeebrugge
10 - Lieven, Mining complex
11 - ayylmayooo, "New Harbour"
12 - danivenk, Shigetomi JCT
13 - danivenk, Hiroki-Sesekushi Suspension Bridge
14 - danivenk, Kaimon Station
15 - danivenk, Usuki Station
16 - danivenk, Wakita Station
17 - danivenk, Ishino Station area
18 - danivenk, Highway Exit Kurotaki
19 - danivenk, Takaono Station
20 - danivenk, Shigetomi Station
21 - danivenk, Miyama Station
22 - danivenk, South-East Tokiwa

Pak64.nippon
23 - danivenk, Yoshida Station
24 - danivenk, Yoshida Station - Underground
25 - danivenk, Kanegasaki Station
26 - danivenk, Kinashi Island
27 - danivenk, Kasukabe Station
28 - danivenk, Kasukabe Station - Underground

Pak128.Britain
29 - Vladki, "Lakebourne transport hub"
30 - DThunder518, Burnham Mail Facility
31 - DThunder518, Ledbury Main Station
32 - DThunder518, Port Jervis
33 - DThunder518, Reigate Airport
34 - DThunder518, Wickwar Airport
35 - DThunder518, Withernsea Junction
36 - DThunder518, Wootton-Basset Airport

Pak128.German
37 - makie, "Garmisch" [1] [2] [3]
38 - makie, "München" [1] [2] [3]
39 - makie, "Berlin" [1] [2] [3]
40 - makie, "Soest" [1] [2] [3]
41 - makie, "Ruhrgebiet" [1] [2] [3]
42 - iGi, "Oktoberfest needs more beer!"
43 - iGi, "freight distribution station"
44 - DThunder518, Alpine City Brentham
45 - DThunder518, Heppby
46 - DThunder518, Flughafen Oak Bay
47 - DThunder518, Regionalflughafen Oldham
48 - DThunder518, Renton Hauptbahnhof & Renton Westbahnhof
49 - DThunder518, Renwick Center
50 - DThunder518, Flughafen Torwick

Pak128.Japan
XX - ahakuoku, Mountainous Area

Pak.64
XX - Yau, City of Malaga

Pak.128.cs
51 - Zeruon, Near the main station
52 - DThunder518, Brno
53 - DThunder518, Dublovieky Crossing
54 - DThunder518, Nechalov Interchange
55 - DThunder518, Oil Refinery

Vladki

What size should the screenshots have? And where do we submit them?

Roboron

Quote from: Vladki on November 01, 2020, 07:35:20 PMWhat size should the screenshots have?

Good question, I haven't thought about it. I don't want to define a minimum/maximum size, but I think I can define the recommended size as 1920x1080 (as this is the most frequent resolution - see image). I shall add this as a guideline, not as a rule.

For the second questions:
Quote3 - You only need to submit your screenshots as replies on this thread.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Carl

This sounds great!

On the resolution, if most people are playing with 1920x1080 screens then their simutrans window would be taking up a smaller area than that (I'm assuming most people play in windowed mode rather than fullscreen).

Vladki

So here is the first screenshot entry:
Title: Lakebourne transport hub
Category: pak128.britain(-ex)
Image is taken from Stephenson-Siemens network game of simutrans-extenden, and shows the following modes of transport: bus, tram, train, air and boat (hovercraft). Only maglev and narrow-gauge is missing.

http://list.extended.simutrans.org/~simutrans/screenshots/simscr126.jpg

prissi

This post looks devoid of screenshots though.

Vladki

Seems like a bug of img tag. Added a simple link too

makie

Pak128.german
From the scenario "Deutschland" (German Card)

Garmisch:

München:

Berlin:

Soest:

Ruhrgebiet:

makie

I build the citygrow to a gif video together:
Pak128.german, from the scenario "Deutschland" (German Card), second Server run

Citygrow of Berlin:

Citygrow of Ruhrgebiet:

Lieven

Like it ! Very nice this evolution, how did you do that ? Is it a GIF ?
Europeans addons in project:

Too much ! ;-)

makie

Gimp --> export -> gif--> Animation
each layer contain a picture

Lieven

My participation is about my representation of the North of France, and a part of the Belgium and Netherlands in a Custom Pak128 (Pak128 with loads of Add-ons)

City of Brussels

Countryside of France

Railway Spaghettis

Road spaghettis

Bonus, my entire map

-----
EDIT : The pictures are stacked in high quality, click on them to acces the extented view

Too much ! ;-)

Roboron

Pretty impressive spaghettis Lieven, thank you for submitting them.

Status update, so far the only participations are the ones on this post. No participations were made on other platforms, but we are at the middle of the contest, so you have plenty of time to participate yet.

I edited the end of the first post to show a list of participations.

Lieven

Too much ! ;-)

Roboron

First participations from Steam, from user iGi:

Pak128.german - Oktoberfest needs more beer!

Pakset: Pak128.German - Title: freight distribution station

EDIT: Also from Reddit. "New Harbor"

I think I will extend the participation period 3 weeks. This is both because I will very busy the following weeks and because I was expecting more submissions (I know at least one user who didn't participate due to lack of time). New submission deadline is December 21st.

danivenk

Fun!
Here are my submissions:

Entry 1 Shigetomi JCT
Your casual cloverleaf highway interchange. Pak128 + Addons

Entry 2 Hiroki-Sesekushi Suspension Bridge
A large suspension bridge connecting the cities of Hiroki and Sesekushi. Pak128 + Addons

Entry 3 Kaimon Station
This is a combination of a local and commuter line. On the top is the non-electrified Nozomi Railway Line. and on the bottom is the Electrified Mizumori Yamamori Line. Pak128 + Addons

Entry 4 Usuki Station
A small one platform local station along the Nozomi Railway Line. The national road going alongside it. Pak128 + Addons

Entry 5 Wakita Station
The Terminus of the Nozomi Railway Line. There is a train depot on the lower left and it has a small station house (Which I was pretty proud of, small but looking good  ;)Pak128 + Addons

Entry 6 Ishino Station area
This area is in the middle of the Nakahara Metropolitan Area. The Mizumori Yamamori and Main Lines go through Ishino Station with 4 tracks. (Outside for the Mainline and inside for the Yamamori Line). The Mizumori Nogaki line goes under the tracks of the Yamamori line and Mainline. The Nakahara Metro Tokuma line can be seen on the elevated tracks. A small detail is a single track connecting the Nogaki and Yamamori/Main Lines. Pak128 + Addons

Entry 7 Highway Exit Kurotaki
The rural highway exit near Kurotaki. Pak128 + Addons

Entry 8 Takaono Station
Well another station along the Nozomi Railway Line, this time it is a station where trains can cross each other. Pak128 + Addons

Entry 9 Shigetomi Station
This is quite a large station. On both sides, it has a large bus terminal and the station is used by trains on both the Mizumori Yamamori Line (North) and the Akiwa Kawdai Line (South). Pak128 + Addons

Entry 10 Miyama Station
This is a large station, for the Akiwa Kawadai Line, the Akiwa Senda Main Line and the Akiwa Senda Shinkansen. It has a large bus terminal with 2 floors on the left. Pak128 + Addons

Entry 11 South-East Tokiwa
Here you can see New Tokiwa Station on the left, Tokiwa Station on the top and Tokiwa East Station on the right. Connecting New Tokiwa and Tokiwa East is a BRT bus line which continues onto Yukijin outside the right of the screenshot. Pak128 + Addons

Entry 12 Yoshida Station
A 5 layered Station Complex. It contains platforms for the Harutetsu Tatsumi Line (2F), Harutetsu Matsudome Line (2F), Harutetsu Miyanokoshi Line (1F), Harutetsu Katamata Line (1F), Sakura Main Line (B1F), Sakura Kamariya Line (B1F), Haruei Yoshigasaki Subway Line (B2F), Haruei Imichi Subway Line (B3F) and the Haruei Harumi Subway Line (B3F). pak.nippon + Addons
Above ground:

Underground:

Entry 13 Kanegasaki Station
The endpoint of the Harutetsu Kamae Line and the Haruei Yoshigasaki Subway Through Line. pak.nippon + Addons

Entry 14 Kinashi Island
The biggest Island in the Kasukabe Bay. The endpoint of the Harutetsu Kinashijima Line. pak.nippon + Addons

Entry 15 Kasukabe Station
Biggest station on the map here the following lines stop: Harutetsu Harumi Line, Harutetsu Matsudome Line, Harutetsu Miyanokoshi Line, Harutetsu Harugai Line, Harutetsu Kinashijima Line, Harutetsu Kamae Line, Harutetsu Wakamatsu Line, Sakura Main Line, Sakura Tatsumi Line, Sakura Kamariya Line, Haruei Harumi Subway Line, Haruei Harukama Subway Line, Haruei Takamichi Subway Line. pak.nippon + Addons
Above ground:

Underground

I've put the underground and above ground of the same place together for convienence.

My pak128 submissions are from my big Korino Map and the nippon ones are from a smaller contest map (Kasukabe Metropolis) I did.
Here you can download all the screenshots

ahakuoku

My entry is in a mountainous area like Japan.
Pakset:pak128.japan+addon

Lieven

Yeah ! 4 participations in 2 days ! Pretty exciting !

@danivenk Impressive map ! The infrastructures are really impressive ! What a quantity of addons (I love the multi-lane bridges ! Are they compatible with Standard Simutrans or they only can work with the OTRP project ?) I also love the train station extension, they offers to create some beautiful and so complex stations !

Too much ! ;-)

Vladki

Yeah those bridges are beautiful, especially the Kinashi arch bridge. How are they coded? Is the source available for inspiration?

prissi

There are different ways, but most easy is with different stops. The sources for the bridges are included, so you can see for yourself:
https://japanese.simutrans.com/index.php?%A5%A2%A5%C9%A5%AA%A5%F3%2F%B4%CB%B5%DE%BA%E4%2F%C6%BB%CF%A9%B4%D8%CF%A2%201

danivenk

The addons are all compatible with Standard. However, the (Kinashi) bridge addon you are talking about is part of the SIS project which has been discontinued for now.

Vladki

Ah so... Those nice bridges are in fact a row of bus/train stops with special design! Nice trick. Just wondering why there is no station label near the Kinashi bridge?

danivenk

Quote from: Vladki on November 30, 2020, 07:45:27 PMAh so... Those nice bridges are in fact a row of bus/train stops with special design! Nice trick. Just wondering why there is no station label near the Kinashi bridge?
Some bridges use that Vladki, some also use just a maglev road with different parts of the bridge as different slopes

0cra_tr0per

All this cool stuff and I haven't even discovered how to make profit. :(

Roboron

Thank you @danivenk for your submissions. I like the underground screenshots, they may be interesting for new players.

We have the first submission form Twitter, and also the first of pak.64!

- Yau, City of Malaga

And the first of Pak.128.cs, from Reddit.
- Zeruon, Near the main station

You only have 5 days left for participating.

Lieven

Is it possible to repost with more screenshots ? I just finished the biggest port I ever made (Zeebrugges representation)

Too much ! ;-)

Roboron

Yes, it is. Just post a reply with your new screenshots.

DThunder518

Here are my entries!

PAK 128 CS

Brno

Dublovieky Crossing

Nechalov Interchange

Oil Refinery

PAK 128 Britain
Burnham Mail Facility

Ledbury Main Station

Port Jervis

Reigate Airport

Wickwar Airport

Withernsea Junction

Wootton-Basset Airport

PAK 128 German

Alpine City Brentham

Heppby

Flughafen Oak Bay

Regionalflughafen Oldham

Renton Hauptbahnhof & Renton Westbahnhof

Renwick Center

Flughafen Torwick

Lieven

So, I add two screenshots to my participation. Still in my custom Pak128.

Zeebrugge

Mining complex

Hope you will like them !

Too much ! ;-)

DThunder518

Excellent, I really like the Zeebrugge

Lieven

Thanks ! I tried to be as reslistic as possible in Simutrans at this scale ;)

Too much ! ;-)

Roboron

Thank you both, those were the last submissions. And thanks to everyone who have submitted screenshots for this first Simutrans Steam Screenshot Contest. Submissions are now closed, and we have over 50 participations from 7 different paksets. It is now time to select the winners! Let's proceed to cast the votes.

Wiki Survey
You can all vote now on the Official Simutrans Wiki survey created for this contest. Remember you can only vote one screenshot per pakset. If you wan to check the images in full quality, check the links in the top of this thread. Be sure to review every screenshot, and pick the right one ;-)

=> Link to the wiki survey here

You have until January 10th to vote.

Participations
You have a list of participations on the wiki survey and at the top of this thread. Open the links to see the screenshots.

This announcement will be posted later today on Steam.

Andarix

dropbox links not work for me in survey

DThunder518

To put the Dropbox links in the survey, you'll probably have to right click on image in the user's post to get the usable URL. It'll be something like:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2890ubeq8jjn3zz/de_renwick.jpg?raw=1

When you actually go to one of the Dropbox URLs like that, you get redirected to an URL with the content like:
https://ucced73e3e9aed32b87a62eb1d81.dl.dropboxusercontent.com/cd/0/inline/BFtHMAn_vtTu8vyNOy3PR_abKKygURRYsB4mUAYRLsguu_8Vbhpfb0LR71hXEK2UIhxQ3p6DfsPIjsTf6WHzN3IUq0CkCIWIFsYU1OzJYgmF4xWoTHqyt7_gDPcPsD2K4GI/file#

but that URL doesn't last very long. So if you click and view the image first and use that URL for the survey, it won't work since it'll expire soon.