The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: 64-bit Windows builds are misnamed  (Read 414 times)

Offline Matthew

• Devotee
    • Japan Railway Journal
  • Languages: EN, some ZH, DE & SQ
64-bit Windows builds are misnamed
« on: December 16, 2020, 01:03:13 AM »
Steps to reproduce

1. Download Simutrans-Extended-Complete to a Windows system
2. Unpack (in a different directory to any existing Simutrans installation)
3. If you have an existing installation, open the newly-created \simutrans\config\simu.tab and change "singleuser_install = 0" to "= 1"
4. Run Simutrans-Extended-64.exe (you may need to authorize it with Windows Defender). It displays build #9499 in the title-bar. Close this instance of Simutrans.
5. Run Simutrans-Extended.exe. It displays build #c4cd41f in the title-bar.
6. Load a savegame greater than 4GB.
7. The savegame loads and plays correctly.

Expected outcome: Both builds should display the commit hash of the latest B-B build, in this case #c4cd41f. Simutrans-Extended.exe should not run the large savegame, because it should be a 32-bit build.

Probable cause: The 64-bit Windows builds are now being created as Simutrans-Extended.exe and Simutrans-Extended-64.exe is not the latest version (it is probably still #cecd155 from before the Great Merge). I do not understand at all why this is happening though, from my very limited understanding of the Makefile.

If a decision is taken to change the name of the 64-bit Windows executable, then players will need to change batch files & desktop shortcuts and the community will need to update installation instructions (and perhaps Steam scripts?).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 01:14:32 AM by Matthew »

Offline Roboron

• Devotee
    • Las Gal├ícticas Aventuras de Komoyo Diga
  • Languages: ES, EN
Re: 64-bit Windows builds are misnamed
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 10:47:28 AM »
Wait a moment, is the executable provided in http://bridgewater-brunel.me.uk/downloads/nightly/windows/ 32 bits or 64 bits?

Offline jamespetts

• Simutrans-Extended project coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Cake baker
    • Bridgewater-Brunel
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:11:39 PM »
Thank you for noting this. I think that I have resolved the issue with the automatic updater by providing an aliased version called Simutrans-Extended-64.exe - I should be grateful if people could confirm whether this works.

To answer Robron's question, Simutrans-Extended.exe is now a 64 bit build.

Offline Matthew

• Devotee
    • Japan Railway Journal
  • Languages: EN, some ZH, DE & SQ
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 03:51:43 AM »
Thank you for noting this. I think that I have resolved the issue with the automatic updater by providing an aliased version called Simutrans-Extended-64.exe - I should be grateful if people could confirm whether this works.

As of now (before the nightly of 2020-12-18) the Nightly Updater fails. But maybe I need to wait for the nightly build.