The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: How I play Simutrans  (Read 583 times)

Offline cato58

How I play Simutrans
« on: September 02, 2020, 04:42:00 PM »
This is a post of what I have done with Simutrans to create a game that feels very different from a typical Simutrans game, as another example of how flexible this game is.

As background, I play the game solitary. I do not like the typical point A to point B distribution, where you have large amounts of goods transported on one line; I prefer, as an example, every town having a small consumption Construction Wholesaler supplied by one sawmill.

Here are the mods I made:
- I turned off the creation of industry chains.
- The initial tourists attractions consist only of a 5x5 resource square, of which I place many. In the map editor I delete these and insert a resource; Timber Plantation, Coal Mine, ....
- Each town starts with 100 inhabitants
- I use curiosities to "zone" a 5x5 square in a town to build factories. Some of my "Zoned for a Factory" curiosities are specific to a type of factory.  I also include a User Choice zone, in order to complete an industry chain.
- I use curiosities to "zone" consumer outlets, like the Marketplace, Pharmacy, etc.  These have a 100% chance of being built.
- I added many more industry chains, such a Red-mix from the Cement factory to the Construction Wholesaler, Orchards supplying fruit for the Marketplace, or a Canner, or a Bottler.

This leaves my games with complicated rail networks, especially around cities where the factories are built.

Offline ChristineR

• Languages: EN
Re: How I play Simutrans
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »
Well gosh that sounds like my experiments, which are not intentional as your are. However I have no clue what I am doing at all but it's fun!
The only difference is I delete all fishing in the waters as I have never figured it out and gave up on airports as the I follow the tutorials for both and neither of them work. Maybe I need a new tutorial for 121.0/ Merry Christmas and Greetings from Oregon USA.

Offline TheRoadmaster1996

• Languages: EN, some ES
Re: How I play Simutrans
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 10:53:09 PM »
Merry Christmas and Greetings from Oregon USA.
I was in Oregon last year for Christmas in Grants Pass! Beautiful state and one of my favorites.