News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Automatic Updater Fails to Update

Started by dannyliux, December 20, 2020, 07:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyliux

After redownloading the game yesterday, today I tried to update to the latest nightly as usually, but the Java updater failed.

Running it either results in 'State: FAIL' after trying to download the hash manifest for less than a second, or the following error:

Exception occured: JAVA.NIO.FILE.ACCESSDENIEDEXCEPTION: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SIMUTRANS EXTENDED.HASH.TMP

('State: FAIL' appears when double-clicking to run; the error message appears when using 'Choose another app' and then navigating to javaw.exe to open with that)

I am not sure why the updater is trying to access a file in SYSTEM32 or exactly what's causing it to fail; running it as admin did not resolve the issue. Tested on both JDK 14.0.2 and JDK 15.0.1; Windows version 10.0.19041 Build 19041, 64-bits; re-downloaded the updater from the forum (even though it appears to be the same version as mine) gave the same issue.

This doesn't affect the game itself but is still slightly inconvenient, has anyone else had similar issues and/or found workarounds?

freddyhayward

Quote from: dannyliux on December 20, 2020, 07:01:21 PMThis doesn't affect the game itself but is still slightly inconvenient, has anyone else had similar issues and/or found workarounds?
I have had the same issue on linux.

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know. I suspect that this is caused by the renaming of what was formerly Simutrans-Extended-64.exe to Simutrans-Extended.exe as the 32-bit builds for Windows were discontinued.

I do not know enough about how the automatic updater works to know exactly how this causes the problem. I will try to create a copy of the Simutrans-Extended.exe file called Simutrans-Extended-64.exe and see whether that works.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

Following today's (20-12-21) nightly rebuild, the Nightly Updater partially works on Windows. It appears to correctly update all files except one. It deletes Simutrans-Extended-64.exe and does not replace it.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

Quote from: Matthew on December 21, 2020, 06:43:34 AM
Following today's (20-12-21) nightly rebuild, the Nightly Updater partially works on Windows. It appears to correctly update all files except one. It deletes Simutrans-Extended-64.exe and does not replace it.

Is this different to the previous behaviour?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

Quote from: jamespetts on December 21, 2020, 11:29:48 AM
Is this different to the previous behaviour?

Yes. Up to very roughly a week ago, the Nightly Updater worked perfectly. Yesterday (and for at least a couple of days previously) I had similar symptoms to those described by dannyliux: the Updater reporting "FAILED" or various Java errors on the command line.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。