News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Game does not start on Ubuntu

Started by Matthew, December 29, 2020, 12:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

Steps to reproduce

1. Install Steam on Ubuntu 20.04 from the standard repository (sudo apt install steam).
2. Open your library.
2. Install Simutrans.
3. Click 'Play' on the Simutrans page.
4. The following error message is displayed:

(Steam does not allow it to be copied-and-pasted)

Expected outcome: The game launches for the first time.

Notes

• The file listed in the message is indeed missing.
  • I tried both Standard v.122.0 and and Standard Nightly (using the beta option).

• Steam successfully verified the game files.

• My ~/simutrans/ directory was created by Simutrans-Extended (from Frank's .deb repository) and is shared with Sim-Ex.

• It's very possible I have done something wrong! :-[ This is the first time I have tried to install Simutrans from Steam on Linux.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Roboron

Do you have a 32-bit linux system? Only 64-bit Simutrans linux builds are deployed to Steam.

Matthew

Quote from: Roboron on December 29, 2020, 03:52:07 PM
Do you have a 32-bit linux system? Only 64-bit Simutrans linux builds are deployed to Steam.

Thank you for responding. It's a 64-bit system. Steam relies on several 32-bit libraries, but that applies to everybody using it on Linux, I think.

That file (simutrans.sh) does not seem to appear in Github mirror of Standard and I don't remember seeing it before outside Steam. Is it something specific to the Steam installation?
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

Roboron

Two weeks ago, Steam introduced a "bugfix" which unfortunately broke Simutrans. I was forced to introduce the simutrans.sh file to load libraries from the simutrans directory - this is a thing the preloader needs, so yes it is specific to the Steam installation.

I created a new depot, which includes the .sh file an the necessary libraries. Can you tell me if you also lack the "lib" directory in Simutrans Steam folder? I've reinstalled the game, and Steam does download me both the .sh file and the lib folder.

Matthew

Quote from: Roboron on December 29, 2020, 05:28:39 PM
Two weeks ago, Steam introduced a "bugfix" which unfortunately broke Simutrans. I was forced to introduce the simutrans.sh file to load libraries from the simutrans directory - this is a thing the preloader needs, so yes it is specific to the Steam installation.

I created a new depot, which includes the .sh file an the necessary libraries. Can you tell me if you also lack the "lib" directory in Simutrans Steam folder?

I do not have lib directory:

QuoteI've reinstalled the game, and Steam does download me both the .sh file and the lib folder.

I am now reinstalling the game and will see whether they appear.

Roboron

I have now reviewed the depots and I found the root cause. I missconfigured the new depot, it was assigned to pak64 instead of the base application (I have never touched this setting, it was probably a missclick on my part). It should be solved by now. Thank you for reporting.