News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Working with skyscrapers in Blender

Started by RealAmerican1776, January 03, 2021, 10:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealAmerican1776

Hello, I am trying to make a skyscraper/condo for my pakset. But I'm having trouble in making the camera larger to make the building fit. What am I doing wrong?

freddyhayward

Quote from: TheRoadmaster1996 on January 03, 2021, 10:48:14 PMHello, I am trying to make a skyscraper/condo for my pakset. But I'm having trouble in making the camera larger to make the building fit. What am I doing wrong?
I can't help you here, but others would have to know what you're doing in a lot more detail to tell you what you're doing wrong.

RealAmerican1776

That's the thing, I don't know what I'm doing at all. For example, in pak128 Germany, how did they get skyscrapers like that? Does that help?

jamespetts

To make larger buildings than will fit in a 1x1 tile, you will need to use TileCutter - search for information about it on this forum to find out more.

Edit: I have moved this post to the paksets forum, as this is a pakset related question. Please post all questions relating to pakset development in the paksets forum. Thank you.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

RealAmerican1776

Right, but I'm talking about height wise. It's difficult to explain without anyone seeing what I'm doing. I wonder if I could post the blender file...

freddyhayward

Quote from: TheRoadmaster1996 on January 04, 2021, 02:09:46 AM
Right, but I'm talking about height wise. It's difficult to explain without anyone seeing what I'm doing. I wonder if I could post the blender file...
Perhaps a screenshot could help, even better if you annotated it with MS Paint or another program.

jamespetts

I believe that TileCutter is also necessary for taller buildings whose height exceeds what can be shown entirely within the boundaries of a single tile.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Quote from: jamespetts on January 04, 2021, 11:33:52 AMI believe that TileCutter is also necessary for taller buildings whose height exceeds what can be shown entirely within the boundaries of a single tile.
Exactly - tilecutter is the answer. Either for too high or too large buildings, you need to cut them in pieces. But I think that if the building fits in one tile, you may succeed even without tilecutter. Just set the camera and other rendering stuff as usual, and instead of 128x128 (or whatever is you pakset size), produce 128x256. Then you have to write dat file as is suggested here: https://simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/en_BackImage#Building_upwards

RealAmerican1776

I think I got it figured out. I'll need to do some more experimenting though just to make sure. But now I can add notable skyscrapers, and possibly the WTCs. I don't know if I should have them as a commercial building or as a curiosity. Any suggestions?

Ranran(retired)

It has been suggested that the extended's multi-tile building code is somewhat broken. But I don't know in detail where the code is. And they haven't been incorporated in yet.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Vladki

If the skyscraper fits on one tile, I would go for COM building. If it requires more tiles, make it a curiosity. I'm not sure if multi-tile COM/RES/IND work in extended at all.
Also if you want to make some skyscrapers unique - only one per town - make them a curiosity.

RealAmerican1776

The World Trade Center did house businesses. Then I could find the Ground Zero memorial somewhere on the internet and have that as a curiosity. I just don't want multiple Trade Centers appearing in the city.